LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

strange elec. problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 11:04 AM

strange elec. problem

'97 t/a lt1
car will crank but no start no spark
next day fires right up runs great several times in a row hot or cold.
next day no start and so on.
car has never quit while running. could there be a circuit that if closed will allow the car to start but not kill it if the car is running? what about a relay? theft deterent? coil?
i believe have eliminated the computer by swapping back and forth and had same symptoms with both. also had it diag. and no problems were found.
thanks
Old 07-22-2003, 12:37 PM

VATS maybe?
Old 07-22-2003, 02:11 PM

from what i've read about VATS it seems that the motor would'nt turn over. is this correct?
thanks
Old 07-22-2003, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by tubby
from what i've read about VATS it seems that the motor would'nt turn over. is this correct?
thanks

Have you checked the Opti-harness that runs parallel the intake and down behind the water pump to the opti? I have seen this a few times where it had gotten moisture in there and caused corrosion on the pins. Whether it started or not was "hit and miss". Its worth a shot.

Jeff
Old 07-22-2003, 03:01 PM

i have not but i will. i had problems in that area before and have since but a new harness on. i will check again
thanks
Old 07-23-2003, 09:55 AM

opti cable checked okay. same thing, car started right up yesterday just cranks today. driving me insane. any other ideas?
thanks
Old 07-23-2003, 10:29 AM

opti cable checked okay. same thing, car started right up yesterday just cranks today. driving me insane. any other ideas?
thanks
is the fuel pump kicking on? have you checked power to it from the fp relay? have you checked the signals coming from the opti? power to the coil?

is the intake on tight? my truck wouldn't start unless the intake (rubber elbow) was firmly secured to the tb, otherwise air was getting in behind the maf and it wouldn't fire.

good luck.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:36 AM

thanks

Two things to check here:

Pull a plug out and place it up against some metal (with plug wire still connected) and have someone watch it to make sure its getting spark while you turn it over

The other obvious thing to listen for is to make sure your pump is powering up when you turn the key forward.

Jeff
Old 07-23-2003, 10:47 AM

hey, FYI: my car was doing the exact same thing when my fuel pump died. it had only 85k miles on it. one day it would start right up. next day it would just crank with nothing. you could always get it checked. hope this helps. just an idea.
dave
Old 07-23-2003, 11:06 AM

thanks for the input, here's what i see:
fuel pump is coming on with good pressure at the gage. raw fuel smell after cranking a while.
but will the relay effect more than just pump?

no spark present.

i have a digital tester but absolutly no idea how to check electrical items such as power to the coil and opti signals.

car is set up for FAST comp. with no MAF needed how ever i did temporarily reinstall the factory setup and had the same result ( start sometimes no start sometimes)

when it is in the mood to start the motor won't even hesitate to fire and like i said earlier it has never died while running or not run well.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:26 AM

i've heard of people having problems w/ the crank sensor on obd2, the pcm doesn't see the rpm from the crank, so it doesn't thow any signal to the ignition control module. Check this site for instructions on testing opti signals and ignition module. good luck

http://csce.uark.edu/~jgbertr/rb/4th_gen_tech1.html
Old 07-23-2003, 12:14 PM

thanks for the input, here's what i see:
fuel pump is coming on with good pressure at the gage. raw fuel smell after cranking a while.
but will the relay effect more than just pump?

no spark present.

i have a digital tester but absolutly no idea how to check electrical items such as power to the coil and opti signals.

car is set up for FAST comp. with no MAF needed how ever i did temporarily reinstall the factory setup and had the same result ( start sometimes no start sometimes)

when it is in the mood to start the motor won't even hesitate to fire and like i said earlier it has never died while running or not run well.

No Spark??????? Well that kind of narrows it down to Opti, coil, or ignition module right there!!!! Do you have access to a set of GM manuals? Do you have a FAX machine?
Old 07-23-2003, 12:28 PM

no manuals, fax 803-691-4322
i will try to do some testing tonight.
man i hope it's not the opti the thing is brand new though i know that doesn't mean much.
thanks for the help
Old 07-23-2003, 01:04 PM

no manuals, fax 803-691-4322
i will try to do some testing tonight.
man i hope it's not the opti the thing is brand new though i know that doesn't mean much.
thanks for the help

I'm gonna go home tonight and find the troubleshooting chart for that system. My vacation starts after I get off of work today so I will not be back tomorrow. But I will try to get it faxed off to you tomorrow. What year is your vehicle?

Jeff
Old 07-23-2003, 01:20 PM

it's a 1997 t/a
thanks alot

Quick Reply: strange elec. problem