LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Stock Lt4 (complete vette engine) with hotcam. couple questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 05:07 PM

Stock Lt4 (complete vette engine) with hotcam. couple questions.

Hey guys.. It's a 96vette with a knocking lt1 that i am replacing with an lt4 (yes i know the lt4 only came with the 6spd, but I am putting it in the a4).

I will have no other mods. Going right thru the stock lt4 heads and thru the a4 tranny with 3.07 rear.

1) this is not a track car..Just want it to go when I nail it..mostly from 30mph

will I be happy with the "pull on this setup (stock stall converter).

2) Will I be breaking lots of parts, if I take it easy on the takeoffs. or is the rpm band going to be too high for the a4 to hold up?

3) Will driveability be less pleasurable due to the cam? Like stalling, surging at lights or will that be minimal with a good tune?

4) will I have to change the torque converter (remember it's not EVER going to a track for times, but, I would like it to "run" when a mustang tries to embarrass me at 3am.

5) would you have selected a different cam with the a4? and/ or would you just keep the lt4 engine stock without changing anything? ie, bolt in and go.

JUst purchased the lt4 engine btw to replace my knocking lt1 a4.
the thanks guys....Great forum!

Last edited by torchred96; 12-09-2005 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:10 PM

Re: Stock Lt4 (complete vette engine) with hotcam. couple questions.

Originally Posted by torchred96
I will have no other mods. Going right thru the stock lt4 heads and thru the a4 tranny with 3.07 rear.

1) this is not a track car..Just want it to go when I nail it..mostly from 30mph

will I be happy with the "pull on this setup (stock stall converter).

2) Will I be braking lots of parts, if I take it easy on the takeoffs. or is the rpm band going to be too high for the a4 to hold up?

3) Will driveability be less pleasurable due to the cam? LIke stalling, surging at lights or will that be minimal with a good tune?

4) will I have to change the torque converter (remember it's not EVER going to a track for times, but, I would like it to "run" when a mustang tries to embarrass me at 3am.

JUst purchased the lt4 engine btw to replace my knocking lt1 a4.
the thanks guys....Great forum!
1. LT4's dyno higher then LS1's do so yes you will be happy with this setup.

2. I don't think you'll be breaking a lot of parts at all. Think you will trouble free

3. I suggest going with a custom grind cam over the Hotcam. As much as i love the hotcam i would prefer something with better idle manner's.

4. Stay with the stock converter but swap in some 3.42's or 3.73's.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:20 PM

thanks Utohcop. Who would you talk to about custom grinds. would it be as easily tuneable seeing how the hotcam is so popular? 342 will be going in when I can afford it...prob. when I break this rear. that's usually the only time I consider upgrading. Trans has a lot of miles 70k, so I will prob. upgrade that first. any suggestions on making that last?
thanks again.
sam
Old 12-09-2005, 05:34 PM

The Hot Cam with a PCMforLess tune is very streetable, you probaly don't even need gears or converter with it. Although, going conservative (gears and stall) really add to street performance and are also streetable. Additionaly, the Hot Cam is a known profile and easy to tune. I believe some of the custom cams would be hard to mail-order tune.

I have the Hot Cam and like it a lot (street and strip).