LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Stock LT1 timing chain with cam/head swap ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 01:11 PM

Stock LT1 timing chain with cam/head swap ...

Can the stocker LT1 timing chain be used in a cam/head swap? I plan on redlining at 6300-6500 rpm or thereabouts. Would it be at risk of breaking, or be the cause of a huge power loss? Opinions wanted... thanks!
Old 05-09-2003, 01:29 PM

How many miles are on the stocker?

I ran a stock one for years and this will be the first year with my new combo that I am not using it. BUT, I will tell you that my car has only 33K miles and it was sloppy as hell when I took it off a few months ago.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by CANTONRACER
How many miles are on the stocker?

I ran a stock one for years and this will be the first year with my new combo that I am not using it. BUT, I will tell you that my car has only 33K miles and it was sloppy as hell when I took it off a few months ago.
for piece of mind change the chain to a HD one
Old 05-09-2003, 01:42 PM

3 bones is a lot if the stock unit is still in good shape.

I have been running 11's for years with the stock one shifting @ 6200+
Old 05-09-2003, 01:58 PM

Several engine builders I talked to said the stock replacement chain should be fine. They did recommend changing the cam sprocket while changing the chain.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:59 PM

If you're spending all that time and money on a H/C swap I wouldn't use the stock chain. It will proably hold but it's not as accurate as some of the better chains out there. I took my stocker off at 55K and it was real sloppy, had lots of play in it. I would go with an Extreme Duty or a Roller chaing like the Cloyes. I went with the Cloyes.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:17 PM

Cloyes double roller here, I think the stock chain is false economy. It seems relatively strong, but there is so much friction, some people dont remain as lucky with it as others are. I know of 2 people in the bay area that lost chains on mostly stock cars, much less a heads/cam car.

If your dumping all that money into the car why scrimp on things that may or may not break? I'd rather not lunch the engine trying to make power on STOCK parts.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:39 PM

The reality is why stop at the timing chain...you should get Comp R lifters just incase, maybe a hydra rev kit, chromoly pushrods, titanium retainers...etc...get my point. There is always something better.

Next thing you know you have a great topend that is bullet proof that is running right along everyones stock stuff...so who got ahead there....and boom, your bottom goes out.

I mean, I know everyone has an opinion, but feel free to send this guy $300 bucks anytime. Until then, a stock LT1 timing chain will work fine as long as it is in good shape.

I would still be running the stock unit if is cost less than the Cloyes I just bought.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:56 PM

If you dont want to drop $200 for a HD piece, what about the Lunati timing chain in summit? I still havnt heard anything about it, and I think it as much as a stock repalcement, somoeone correct me if Im wrong. They list it for ~$108 and some change plus you can still use you stock wp, unlike the Cloyes. Just out of curiosity, what cam are you running?
Old 05-09-2003, 03:15 PM

As far as i know, the new Lunati timing set will not work with 96/97 LT1 setups....

correct me if im wrong, guys
Old 05-09-2003, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by CANTONRACER
The reality is why stop at the timing chain...you should get Comp R lifters just incase, maybe a hydra rev kit, chromoly pushrods, titanium retainers...etc...get my point. There is always something better.

That's true, some of us have to stop somewhere when it comes to upgrading, I'm the same way. The timing chain though is a critical component, if it goes it's likely going to do some major engine damage to pistons and valves. I didn't go all out on my cam swap either but I did want to be sure I had a strong, accurate timing chain in there. And like you said, you're stock chain was sloppy as hell after just 33k and so was mine. I didn't want that chain in my engine now that I'm making a good bit more power than stock and driving it even harder now.

As far as i know, the new Lunati timing set will not work with 96/97 LT1 setups....

correct me if im wrong, guys
I thought it was for 96/97's too? I'll have to double check the catalog later though.

Last edited by GREGG 97Z; 05-09-2003 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:45 PM

I agree, but I think the timing chain is a genuine risk. I ran R lifters but I dont believe in the Hydra Rev. I also had Ti retainers but I got them for a good price.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:53 PM

Is there a difference between a OBD2 and OBD1 chain? Is there a special pervision for the crank sensor on the OBD2 chains?
Old 05-09-2003, 03:56 PM

I bought the hydra rev for $150 with the install tool. It was a good price so I just bought it. Now with my new setup, I am running superior springs and I thought about eliminating the hydra rev since I really wont need it, but after speaking with a couple of cam guys, it can actually save your motor. Let's say a pushrod gives out, in a normal scenario, the lifter in all likely hood would turn and cause catastrophic damage. But with a hydra rev kit, the lifter will still be seated on the lobe correctly, but you will no something is seriously wrong.
Old 05-09-2003, 04:36 PM

I replaced just the chain when I did mine. It was $20-30 from Autozone.

Quick Reply: Stock LT1 timing chain with cam/head swap ...