LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Stock cooling fans can cool to what hp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 07:46 PM

Stock cooling fans can cool to what hp?

Does anyone know how much CFM the stock camaro LT1 cooling fans are? Or at what point do you have to go with an after market fan?

I have an LT4/T56 in my 69 camaro and not sure what cooling fan(s) to go with. I will be running an aluminum radiator. Engine mods are headers and probably GM hot cam for now (what to get car on the road then will do other mod's). The car will be street driven with occasional auto cross and road course.
Any info and help is appreciated.
Kevin
Old 01-02-2005, 08:15 PM

Re: Stock cooling fans can cool to what hp?

There really is no point at which they no longer do the joband if there is it is far beyond what a HOT cam will deliver. Remember electrics spin full speed whenever they are on so it is not like a mechanical where they are engine rpm dependant to be able to move air. Then if the car is making HP for any amount of time, even just a couple seconds forward motion will take over as the primary means of moving air throught the rad., the pcm shuts the fans off at something like 48mph in my Caprice I am willing to bet the Camaro is similar(same pcm). The one thing I would say to make sure of as far as cooling is make sure you have a good airdam below the rad. they create low pressure behind them which makes air go through the radiator to fill the low pressure void.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:23 PM

Location: I reached back like a pimp and smacked that LS1....

I have stock fans and radiator and my coolant temps stay between 178-183 on the dyno and on the street/track.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
There really is no point at which they no longer do the joband if there is it is far beyond what a HOT cam will deliver. Remember electrics spin full speed whenever they are on so it is not like a mechanical where they are engine rpm dependant to be able to move air. Then if the car is making HP for any amount of time, even just a couple seconds forward motion will take over as the primary means of moving air throught the rad., the pcm shuts the fans off at something like 48mph in my Caprice I am willing to bet the Camaro is similar(same pcm). The one thing I would say to make sure of as far as cooling is make sure you have a good airdam below the rad. they create low pressure behind them which makes air go through the radiator to fill the low pressure void.
Depending on the year model and relay setup, the fans don't always run at full speed when they turn on. F-bodies had low and high speed fan operation since mid 1994.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:45 PM

News to me but I will trust you, seeing as you didn't comment further I take it you agree that the stock fans are pretty effective at cooling even high HP cars? What are you cooling your beast with?
Old 01-02-2005, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
News to me but I will trust you, seeing as you didn't comment further I take it you agree that the stock fans are pretty effective at cooling even high HP cars? What are you cooling your beast with?
You can trust me.
I agree that the stock fans are quite adequate/capable. That advice already given was good advice.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:25 PM

the fans are just fine for almost any amount of hp that can come out of an lt1, the problem lies in the effeciency of the radiator. once you break about 750, i'd start looking into high-flow water pumps and 3-4 core aluminum radiators. the stock unit is a 2 core aluminum, which is capable of a substancial ammount of hp
Old 01-03-2005, 05:14 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. Sounds like a good aluminum radiator or even stock radiator with the stock cooling fans will work.

Kevin
Old 01-03-2005, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Depending on the year model and relay setup, the fans don't always run at full speed when they turn on. F-bodies had low and high speed fan operation since mid 1994.
This is correct.. 'late production' 94 had low and high speed cooling fans, and 3 relays.. this is done by running them in series [low= 6 volts per fan] or in parallel [high= 12 volts per fan]
'early production' have single speed primary and secondary fans and 2 underhood relays.. and only one can be on at a times, or both when called for..
I often ponder 'upgrading' the early to the later setup, since I feel it's a better way.. the wiring is very similar to the relay box, and the 'PCM signal' is the same for both methods] adding the 3rd relay is the hardest part..

96capricemgr.. I know of no 'fan shutoff' speed on the LT1 f body [ tho it does make sense.. since at a certain speed the fans would be a hindrance to air flow..] this question does arise from time to time, [rumor has 70 mph as a 'threshold'], but I have never seem that backed up with fact..
Old 01-03-2005, 08:44 PM

I didn't even think about the radiator, seeing as I drive a b-body(well 2 I got a Roadmaster wagon a couple weeks ago) I am accustomed to our half acre of radiator I am sure there is less room in the f-body and a smaller rad to fit.

Mtrhds94Z, quite off topic but I grew up in NJ(Belvidere) and just today was daydreaming about the next time I would get out that way, hopefully this year. I always take one day between visiting sides of the family to go fishing out of either Point Pleasant or Belmar. Maybe this years trip will be timed for fluke.