LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Starting issues (maybe heat related)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 06:16 AM

Starting issues (maybe heat related)

Ok, the car will start up no problem at first. I can drive it for 10 minutes or more (or just have it sitting in the driveway) then turn it off for 10 minutes plus. Then come back and try to start is it acts like it won't start. It turns over but just won't fire. It'll even just about kill the battery trying to start. I have eliminated the battery as being a problem after switching them out between my truck and the car several times. Alot of times it will go ahead and start with a bit of hesitation. But it's those other times it just turns over until it gives up. Almost seems like it could be ignition. Any ideas on this? The new motor has all of maybe 10 miles on it. Thanks!
Old 09-15-2005, 12:17 PM

Re: Starting issues (maybe heat related)

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 09-16-2005, 05:34 AM

Next time you have the problem, have someone crank it over while you tap the bottom of the fuel tank with something like a mallet. Chances are, your fuel pump is on it's way out.

You could also put a fuel pressure gage on it to see what the pressure is when you have the problem. Another low tech way to see the problem is. After cranking it for a short time to prove that the problem is occuring, relieve all the pressure in the fuel rail. Now cycle power on but don't crank it. Turn power off and then cycle power again and do this 5 or 6 times. Now see if pressure has built up in the fuel rail again.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by slopokrodrigez
Next time you have the problem, have someone crank it over while you tap the bottom of the fuel tank with something like a mallet. Chances are, your fuel pump is on it's way out.

You could also put a fuel pressure gage on it to see what the pressure is when you have the problem. Another low tech way to see the problem is. After cranking it for a short time to prove that the problem is occuring, relieve all the pressure in the fuel rail. Now cycle power on but don't crank it. Turn power off and then cycle power again and do this 5 or 6 times. Now see if pressure has built up in the fuel rail again.
If the car will sit for a long time and fire right up like he said then bleeding off fuel pressure isn't the problem. It's most likely your starter.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:11 PM

Well this last time it did it it seemed like the battery was having a hard time. Almost like it was low charged. But like I said the voltometer reads fine and I have changed the batteries out several time and it occurs reguardless. This is frustrating.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:13 PM

If you have headers I would look towards it taking its toll on the starter and heat soaking it overtime till it is causing a problem. My old shorties did it to 2 starters on my car.

Also put a fuel pressure guage as they stated and check to see if you have pressure or at least hear it pressurize when you turn the key before starting.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:13 AM

I definatley hear the fuel pump loud and clear. I could see it being the starter. It's just weird it never did this before the new motor. Might just try some heat wrap on it when I have the time.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:15 AM

It's your fuel pressure. Guaranteed.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:49 AM

I will definatley check that soon as well.