LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Starter is posessed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 02:19 PM

Starter is posessed!

Whenever I try to plug my battery terminal into the back of the battery, sparks shoot all over the place and the starter motor begins to try to crank the engine over. I have reason to believe the starter is wired correctly, however im not sure. The ground wire that comes out of the bundle of wires near the starter (I'm not even sure this has to do with the starter) is grounded to the engine block where the oil dipstick tube bracket is bolted to the block. Other than that I'm sure of the placement of my wires, is there anything else that could cause this? Internal parts maybe? Also if it makes any difference my starter was sitting in my garage for about 4 months while my car was in storage for the winter and I was VERY leisurely installing LT headers. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:37 PM

Disconnect the small purple wire at the starter and see if its still cranking.If so you solenoid is stuck.If not you ignition switch or wires are suspect.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:46 PM

Ok, just disconnected the little purple wire, the stupid starter still does the same thing, so the solenoid is stuck in the on posistion? Is there any way to unstick it myself (i did bang on it with a hammer already) or am I gonna have to take it somewhere? Or is it junk?
Old 03-27-2003, 02:46 PM

Your starter wires are probably touching each other.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:49 PM

Maake sure the hot wire isnt touching the post where the purple wire goes.If not tap on the solenoid on end that goes to the starter.You might free it up.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:55 PM

Your cables should be installed like this (small purple wire on the lug on the LH side in that pic). Perhaps you put the battery cable on the top big lug instead of the bottom one? Doing that would immediately engage the starter motor when it was connected to power.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:56 PM

The hot wire is not touching any other posts on the starter. Also banged on it with a hammer for a while, didn't seem to help, still stuck. Would someone with basic knowledge about starters (sure as hell not me) be able to take it apart and unstick it, or do I have to buy a new one now? Thanks guys, you've been a lot of help already! Edit: Nope Rob, I have the battery cable on the bottom, seeing as the other cable wouldnt even reach the other lug i figured this would be the best way
Old 03-27-2003, 03:04 PM

Take it out and try pushing the drive gear back in.You might be able to do it yourself.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:08 PM

*Holds breath and covers face so you cant tell I'm crying cause I'm gonna ask a real stupid question* Drive gear? the thing that spins the flywheel?
Old 03-27-2003, 03:11 PM

Yes,it is engagin the flywheel right?It has to go in.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:15 PM

Yea, its engaging the flywheel, seeing as everytime i touch the battery cable the alternator about rips my hand off, so i assume the crank is turning. So take the starter off and mess around with the drive gear? I'm just not sure what you're saying when you say it has to go "in". Thanks for helping someone that has no business under his car!
Old 03-27-2003, 03:19 PM

Can you get in there to see if the drive gear is actually engaging the flywheel when the starter is at rest? If so, the solenoid or the bendix (mechanical part that engages the drive gear) is stuck.

If the gear is only engaging when the battery cable is connected, then there is a problem with the solenoid. In either case, the solenoid is not serviceable/replaceable. You may just need a new starter.

You can always take it off and play with it off the car. Use some jumper cables to run it. Be aware that it will torque all over the place (jump and roll ) when it is not attached to the engine and you put power to it. Hold it down with your foot or something.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:24 PM

So all in all I'll probably just need a new starter, ugh what a world, what a world. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by Naegash
So all in all I'll probably just need a new starter, ugh what a world, what a world. Thanks for your help guys.
Well, if the thing is just stuck, you might be able to unstick it. Try to play with it some more and maybe it wil start acting right.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:36 AM

Yea, I took it off and started jabbing objects in there by the drive gears. I also hit it with a hammer and even dropped it on the ground a few times. Bolted it back up to my car just for the hell of it, and what do you know works just perfectly! Wow my car is loud in a closed garage with open long tubes! Should be a fun drive to the muffler shop tomorrow. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Starter is posessed!