LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

SStrokerAce, update on LT1 intake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 01:00 AM
Banned

New Style Intake

What I see in this post is people trying to pick Bret's brain as to what he is building and how much it costs.Some want the demensions also.Well if you are that interested buy one and find out. (bet I can guess) I had one built by Wilson for my son's motor I am building,from a casting and I did the dreaming and paying and he preformed his magic.Mindgame got pictures that my son sent to him and that is the first look outside this house.Bret see if Mindgame will PM you a copy of the pictures.
If Bret has a new design he is building I wish him well because I know what goes into this kind of thing,It ain't easy to make things come out like you want them.
Build a better mousetrap and they will beat a path to your door.

I have been looking for the cheese for quite a few years,mousetrap was built a long time ago.

EDIT: There is also some very good info for those that read and learn from those that have been there done that and/or doing that.

Last edited by 1racerdude; 06-11-2004 at 01:14 AM.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by dmoss69
I you were to place a twin 52 mm throttle body on this intake instead of the two seperate thorttle bodies, why would this be hard to build?

http://groups.msn.com/Zturbo/racecar...oto&PhotoID=53

D Moss

i tell ya what.........since you think it will be so easy.........why dont you make one for me for free!

ill explain this one more time, maybe you will get it because apparently you missed it when MG explained.

any good welder could do the physical construction of a sheetmetal intake that LOOKS like that.

but that is NOT what makes it increase performance.

the reason they are hard to make, is because the length, angle, and size of the runners, as well as the size and design of the plenum are all totally optimized specifically for the engine its going to be attached to, in order to create the proper tuning for the engine for a specific rpm range. it is a very exact science and requires much planning and expertise.
THAT is what is tough to do, and that is why you pay these guys for their knowledge of how to do this correctly.

sure you could go ahead and take some guesses and weld up your own intake, but it will probably HURT performance more than it would help.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:21 AM
Banned

Re: New Style Intake

Originally posted by 1racerdude
What I see in this post is people trying to pick Bret's brain as to what he is building and how much it costs.Some want the demensions also.Well if you are that interested buy one and find out. (bet I can guess) I had one built by Wilson for my son's motor I am building,from a casting and I did the dreaming and paying and he preformed his magic.Mindgame got pictures that my son sent to him and that is the first look outside this house.Bret see if Mindgame will PM you a copy of the pictures.
If Bret has a new design he is building I wish him well because I know what goes into this kind of thing,It ain't easy to make things come out like you want them.
Build a better mousetrap and they will beat a path to your door.

I have been looking for the cheese for quite a few years,mousetrap was built a long time ago.

EDIT: There is also some very good info for those that read and learn from those that have been there done that and/or doing that.
I'd love to see that Wilson one, but I would not like to see the price tag on it.

MG if you read this part send that puppy over to me or FASTFATBOY beats you too it that would be great.

Larry you might have a good idea on what I am looking for in terms of dimensions that's for sure.

Bret
Old 06-11-2004, 10:45 AM
Banned

Intake

Yea,I have a "fair" idea and it should work bitchin. Just fitting it under the cowl is going to take some"figurin"
I don't have the pictures or I would send them,maybe Mindgame will PM them to you.
You don't REALLY want to know how much it cost,do you?Like I said it should be the color of gold.I could pretty much buy 2 of yours for what it cost--maybe--.The only salvation is he said it will outflow one of HIS Super Victors and all the runners are the same length(easy tune)
Should be done with this project in 3-4 weeks HOPE HOPE with no more problems.
With them flowed together I am not loosing much at all % wise around 2%.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:15 AM
Banned

Nice, good flow and it's the right size with equal runners. Sounds like a good idea to me ;-)

Bret
Old 06-11-2004, 11:20 AM
Banned

Nice, good flow and it's the right size with equal runners. Sounds like a good idea to me ;-)

Bret
Old 06-12-2004, 04:18 PM

Exclamation

Hey, look what the cat drug in! How you doing Chuck?

Must say..... Chuck's intake setup is a work of art. Carbon fiber and polished aluminum everywhere! Not to mention, that car is crazy fast and smooth like nothing I've ever ridden in before. Awesome car.

Bret, I forwarded the picture to ya. Very nice looking piece of work from what can be seen.

-Mindgame
Old 06-13-2004, 11:31 AM

Well I got this link from some one who knew I was also building a LT1 intake. Mine is more for a bolt on Stock application.

Very good info here. ALL Respected people giving MORE then most need to know for info.

Just like to point out that intake you keep tossing up from Stevens car was built for a twin 62MM+ Turbo aplication and probably wont work very well with out the turbo's. So just toss that one out the window.

I can't wait to see this thing perform!

BTW Hood clearance on My Hogans is perfect! It fits nicely under my STOCK 95 Z28 hood!
Old 06-14-2004, 04:03 PM

Good stuff here...deserves a bump.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:30 AM
Banned

Almost done, getting this puppy powder coated for Ken now since he finally decieded on a color tonight!.

Should have some pics for the public up here soon.

Bret
Old 06-15-2004, 12:38 AM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Originally posted by SStrokerAce
Almost done, getting this puppy powder coated for Ken now since he finally decieded on a color tonight!.

Should have some pics for the public up here soon.

Bret
I didn't change my mind on the color to many times now.... what maybe 26 or 27 times?
Old 06-15-2004, 12:51 AM
Banned

intake

How about "Designer Silver"
Old 06-15-2004, 02:13 AM
Banned

I did another trial run on a extra piece of casting with the clear Larry and Ken's comment is that it looks like cement vs. a nice shinny finish. Ughhh.

We are going with a Mirror Black now, should look good with the polished fuel rails and stainless hardware. I'll probably make some the the brakets pretty too.

Ken finally picked a good color!!!!

Bret
Old 06-15-2004, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by SStrokerAce
I did another trial run on a extra piece of casting with the clear Larry and Ken's comment is that it looks like cement vs. a nice shinny finish. Ughhh.

We are going with a Mirror Black now, should look good with the polished fuel rails and stainless hardware. I'll probably make some the the brakets pretty too.

Ken finally picked a good color!!!!

Bret
I was pushing for a stealthy semigloss black, but I must have been the only one.

That manifold will be very obvious in ANY color.

Mirror Black would look good on my old '96 Imp SS, come to think of it.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by OldSStroker
That manifold will be very obvious in ANY color.
this thread is now worthless without pics
(ok not really but....)

*waits patientally*

Quick Reply: SStrokerAce, update on LT1 intake?