LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

ss hood ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 01:11 AM

ss hood ?

I have a after market ss hood and I have a couple of questions. First the hole is not cut on the outside or underneath so I have a question about that. What demensions does the enterence hole need to be and what size or shape does the underside hole need to be? I have an ss hood grill to go in the whole from slp for ss hood and I was wondering if a whole that size would work? Also I was wondering if ram air is actually better than going with cold air? Would it be better to just open it up on the outside for looks and keep it closed underneath and go with the slp cold air intake? Just looking for opinions.
Wes
Old 01-22-2004, 08:14 AM
Jag

I will bump this because I'd like to know the answer to this question:

Also I was wondering if ram air is actually better than going with cold air?
Old 01-22-2004, 08:30 AM

Sorry I am not gonna be able to help you, but where did you get the Hood and how much did it cost? Thanks
Old 01-22-2004, 08:36 AM

I remember a big discussion about this awhile back. From what I recall, the ram air is not effective until you reach higher speeds. I'd think that a CAI would have better all around performance since it's not sitting in the engine bay.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:47 AM

http://www.suncoastcreations.com

I got my hood from these guys, it fits pretty decently for a fiberglass hood, and it has the hole already cut out. I think it's $700 total, including shipping. Then you have to factor in the cost of getting it painted. BTW, I went for the hood only, not the hood and cold air box package.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:48 AM

Cool thanks for the info.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:59 AM

I also bought a SS hood recently for my 96 Z. I did some research on here about my current CAI (moroso) that i already have or if it would be better to get the SS intake. It seemed to be equally divided, with a few people saying CAI was DEFINETLY better, while a few said the SS one was DEFINETLY better. If you want to search for it go ahead, just search ram air cai. In my opinion the SS would be so much easier for changing the filter, mine is a PITA now. Plus i personally like the look of the SS intake. Either way it cant be morethan a tiny bit of hp difference, so go with what you want. I will eventually be getting the SS one. Honestly, how many camaros do you see with the SS hood/intake??
Bill
Old 01-22-2004, 03:39 PM

Yea I have to agree. This is what I found out though. For the ss intake to be effective you have to reach speed of 80 mph or more. Plus since hot air rises and it basically sit on top of the engine it's not getting a lot of cold air. With the CAI it is low to the ground getting cold air and is not above the egine where a lot fo the hot air goes. Thats what I found out. My only question is if this si true then why didn't slp go with cold air instead on the ss? Also found out on the ss intake air has to flow back to the front of the car which is against the direction the wants to flow so it's not efficent. Thought maybe some one else would like to add a thing or two. Oh the hood was bought off ebay for 350. Fit perfectly from Fiberglassfab inco. Now if cold air is better does it add enough hp to make up for the drag added by putting the whole in the hood?
Wes