LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

SS conversion question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 07:43 PM

SS conversion question

I'm considering converting my Z28 to an SS.
the only thing i can think of that would make me decide other wise is that I live in a really rainy city, and I was wondering if water will get in the SS hood and go into my TB?
Old 01-10-2005, 08:20 PM

Re: SS conversion question

the gm ss hood and airbox have rain baffels so water wont be able to get into the intake track. most people will tell u to do the ss conversion but dont badge it as a SS. i have a friend that did this and he gets alot of crap for it.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:20 PM

I believe the SS hoods have a rubber "housing" can't think of the word right now, that goes around the airbox and ram air area and with the baffles in the hood the water cannot get through.
Bill
Old 01-11-2005, 09:52 AM

there is a bafle in the hood scoop that deflects rain down to a lip that channels it inside the hood and out small openings in the front and rear of the hood. i drove my ss for 4 years everyday and never had any water make it to the aircleaner let alone the t/b

i cut the baffle out about a year or so ago to get better air flow and have been caught in the rain twice and no water got into the air box.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:41 AM

Put the hood on, the ram air,the spolier the wheels, but please for the love of god dont put the badges on it. It will never be an SS, no matter what you have on it, the only car that are SS's have "WU8" on there RPO codes.
-Mark
Old 01-11-2005, 10:45 AM

Unless you put the "Corvette motor" in it, you're stuck with a Z-28!
Old 01-11-2005, 10:48 AM

Haha, a lot of those SS owners are not going to be very pleased you're doing this!
Old 01-11-2005, 10:51 AM

I say do what you like with the car. Nothing wrong with making a replica SS and calling it just that a replica SS. The only thing you cant do is try to sell it as true SS. Other then that i say your good to so. They perform just about the same so hey do you what you like.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by TransAm9585
I say do what you like with the car. Nothing wrong with making a replica SS and calling it just that a replica SS. The only thing you cant do is try to sell it as true SS. Other then that i say your good to so. They perform just about the same so hey do you what you like.
i agree!!
Old 01-11-2005, 01:48 PM

If he doesnt badge it as an SS then I have no problem at all. Lets break it down, the SS spoiler looks the best, the SS hood looks better then the terrible big block hood or the cowl induction hood. And either one of the SS rims, 5 or 10 spoke are some of the best looking rims for our cars. And there all GM parts. But if you plan on badging it, then spend the money and get a real one.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:53 PM

There are so many late 60s "clone" SS Chevelles/Camaros but no one makes a stink about it. Buy all the parts, put the badges on. The SS cars look great. However, just don't try to sell it as a GM SS.

Move this thread to the lounge now...

Ryan
Old 01-11-2005, 02:09 PM

Don't remove the baffles from the rain baffles from the SS hood If you won't be using the Air box. this will blow rain directly onto your opti. I drove my Formula with a WS6 hood for a while without the air box. No problems. My hood was smashed so i bought a new one. Now i cut the baffles out of the old one and i am in the process of repairing it.

This is what the hood will look like without the baffles so water WILL get into your air box, or directly on your opti if you dont have an air box. I have heard of about 4 people who have this done on their dialy drivers and none have ever had a problem with it though.

http://home.earthlink.net/~3.8/siteb...tures/bf11.jpg

It stopped a deer at 75mph, so the hood needs more then one application of body filler
Old 01-11-2005, 02:32 PM

i feel you should do to your car what you like,hey i wanted an SS could not find one for sale so i got a z28 instead!whats wrong with the look of one nothing,dress to impress.........but if someone asks just tell them its my version of an SS.......enjoy your ride!
Old 01-11-2005, 07:33 PM

Whats the big deal with an SS badge?
would it b ok to put an SS badge off a new silverado SS?
the new silverado SS badge looks better
Old 01-11-2005, 08:18 PM

Well it's like someone saying our engines are Corvette engines... which i did tonight when trying to explain what car i drove to a girl... turns out she drove a 2000 Trans Am WS6 so i felt stupid...

Quick Reply: SS conversion question