LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Spark Jumping Out of my Coil Wire????

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 02:02 PM

Spark Jumping Out of my Coil Wire????

I noticed my car start running worse 3 days ago. I looked down by the coil and saw blue light arcing out so i thought my coil was bad. I put a new coil in last night and a new coil wire. I then saw blue sparks arcing out of the middle of the wire and onto things by my engine like bolts and I could get it to arc to my screwdriver. I then tried 2 different new wires and then put an new msd coil on today thinking maybe there was a short in the coil.(Plus i wanted the msd coil anyway). I'm thinking either there is a ground problem or my optispark is bad making it easier for electricity to arc out of the actual wire then through the optispark?? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:25 PM

Re: Spark Jumping Out of my Coil Wire????

Originally Posted by 94StockFormula
I noticed my car start running worse 3 days ago. I looked down by the coil and saw blue light arcing out so i thought my coil was bad. I put a new coil in last night and a new coil wire. I then saw blue sparks arcing out of the middle of the wire and onto things by my engine like bolts and I could get it to arc to my screwdriver. I then tried 2 different new wires and then put an new msd coil on today thinking maybe there was a short in the coil.(Plus i wanted the msd coil anyway). I'm thinking either there is a ground problem or my optispark is bad making it easier for electricity to arc out of the actual wire then through the optispark?? Any help would be appreciated.

anything after the coil can do this, opti, plug wires or plugs
Old 02-25-2006, 04:14 PM

I wouldn't put too much stock in the sparks unless you see one you know is out of the ordinary. I spent about an hour in the dark before with the engine running looking at various sparks and thinking one of them was the problem but it turned out to be burned plug wires.
I would say your theory on the opti causing the lower resistance path to be across the coil wire to something else instead of through the correct path would be possible but unlikely. I would change the wires and plugs before the opti.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:26 PM

I agree....change the wires and plugs before the opti. I'd imagine a bad plug would be able to up the resistance enough to do it before something in the opti, plus, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to change them first.