LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Something is wrong with my gas guage (not what you think)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 06:10 PM

Something is wrong with my gas guage (not what you think)

Question for you all. It seems my gas guage does NOT want to leave 3/4. I can fill her up at the gas station and it will still stay there, i can do heavy breaking (to where the gas level uisally drops and goes back cus of our tanks) and it still stays there. I do see it moving every now and then like a CM or 2. I recently did a Racetronix fuel pump, that is working fine, and the fuel level worked fine for like a week, and then this happened. Any ideas all, its driving me insane, and i gate filling up with gas for fear that i will run out of gas and burn up this pump. I mean the gas guage doesn't read empty, so technicaly its reading? Help hehe.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:13 PM

Try taking the cluster out and remving the gas needle and replacing it. See if that helps. On my old 93 Z, i had to remove the needles when installing white face guages and i messed up the gas guage and it would do what you're talking about. But if you'venever messed with the cluster, then i dont see why it would just stop working. Can never hurt to try anything simple though.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:09 PM

Yep I never messed with the cluster, not once. When I first put the fuel pump in it was working fine for like a week. THEN! I went to fill up with some gas, and the gas pump said it was full, but it was stoped at the 3/4 mark. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-12-2003, 07:24 PM

Well, one thing you shouldn't have to worry about is running out of gas, just get gas when you have driven a certain amount of miles. I do only city driving, so I have to fill it up at about 230 miles of travel.

Before I would do anything, I would also just check the cluster for a new scratch or a loose spring or w/e. After, I would check inside the the tank to see if something is keeping the sensor still, like somehow the gas turned to glue or something. I hope you know what I mean, since this wasn't the clearest way to explain ( I'm terrible at that lol)

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:25 PM

I never touched the cluster before, it CANT be that. Paging Shoebox, do you think its eletrical related?
Old 10-12-2003, 07:37 PM

I doubt it is the cluster, too. Maybe a pinched wire by the tank or even inside it.

Here is some info I already had written up:

To help figure out what your fuel gauge problem is, locate the pump electrical connector on the rear of the floor pan under the car (by the fuel filter). It has purple, gray and black wires going to the fuel tank. Unplug the connector. With a meter, read resistance between the black and purple wires going to the tank.
approximate:
88 ohms = full
60 ohms = 3/4
43 ohms = 1/2
26 ohms = 1/4
1 ohm = empty
The readings should correspond to your gauge. If the reading(s) seem accurate to what you have in the tank, the sender is ok.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:39 PM

Does this also apply with the racestronix setup I have shoebox? It has a new harness.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by NVetro
Does this also apply with the racestronix setup I have shoebox? It has a new harness.
I would say that the Racetronix would have to emulate the stock unit so the gauge would read the same way as the stocker.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:49 AM

Lets just say I tested the wires and it came to say that the tank is 3/4 filled, what then? Something wrong with the wiring on the fuel system arm that sits in the tank?
Old 10-13-2003, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by NVetro
Lets just say I tested the wires and it came to say that the tank is 3/4 filled, what then? Something wrong with the wiring on the fuel system arm that sits in the tank?
If it says that no matter how much is in the tank, then yes, that would indicate a problem toward the tank.