LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Some MSD Opti Install Tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 06:33 PM

Some MSD Opti Install Tips

There’s nothing like “trial-by-fire” to make you an expert quickly. So, I wanted to share some important install tips I recently learned about the MSD opti.

1. If your MSD opti comes with the round O-ring. Don’t use the round one, it tends to slip off the machined lip on the CNC’ed housing (aluminum distributor body), or gets caught under the distributor cap. Contact MSD and have them send you one of the new “square” O-rings. Here is a picture of the square O-ring with the part number (pkg of 2).

2. Set the MSD on your workbench and install the square O-ring on the housing before you install the distributor on the engine. I used a very small amount of RTV to stick the square O-ring down to the housing so it wouldn’t move, or fall off. The RTV will also ensure the O-ring will stay under the lip of the cap. Allow the RTV to dry before installing the cap.

3. At this point you may want to “test fit” the cap to “ensure” the lip on the cap fits over the square O-ring and is flush (mates flat without any gap) on the aluminum housing (no gap to due to getting caught on the edge of the O-ring).

4. Remove the rotor screws, then reinstall them using blue thread-locker and ensure the screws are tightened correctly (the rotor screws were loose on my MSD).

5. After the MSD is installed on the engine, you’re ready to install the cap. Once again, make sure the cap slips over the square O-ring and mates flat on the aluminum housing. Use a small amount of blue thread-locker on the five cap screws.

Use my install tips "in-addition" to the basic MSD installation instructions. Post or PM me if you have any questions about the MSD install.

WD

Last edited by The Engineer; 06-22-2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:51 PM

Nice right up. It's a shame that we would need to do this to a new Distributor, but if it keeps it together... I do really like the rotor button on the MSD unit because it is held down with a screw instead of a couple of plastic dowels, which flew apart on mt Accel... I've decided just to go with the LTCC and get rid of my rotor all together.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:18 PM

So, when you are installing the rotor, is it indexed to the shaft it goes on? Or do you just have to remember where the old one was when you take it off?
Old 06-20-2007, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by droptop z
So, when you are installing the rotor, is it indexed to the shaft it goes on? Or do you just have to remember where the old one was when you take it off?
The rotor is installed on the MSD while it is on the workbench. Yes, like all distirbutors the rotor is keyed (indexed) to the shaft hub. The rotor has a key pin and the hub has a hole for the pin.

Also, you install the distributor with the cap off. Turning the rotor until the cam pin engages in the distributor hub key hole, then the distributor will slide flat and mate with the timing chain cover. If it isn’t keyed correctly, the distributor will not mate with the timing chain cover. The rotor should then be pointing where you marked the GM prior to removal.

WD
Old 06-20-2007, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by The Engineer
The rotor is installed on the MSD while it is on the workbench. Yes, like all distirbutors the rotor is keyed (indexed) to the shaft hub. The rotor has a key pin and the hub has a hole for the pin.

Also, you install the distributor with the cap off. Turning the rotor until the cam pin engages in the distributor hub key hole, then the distributor will slide flat and mate with the timing chain cover. If it isn’t keyed correctly, the distributor will not mate with the timing chain cover. The rotor should then be pointing where you marked the GM prior to removal.

WD
What I meant was, after you install the distributor, and when you go to put on the rotor, can you install it incorrectly? Or does it only fit in one position?
Old 06-20-2007, 10:20 PM

On a 93-94 opti there is only one way that the opti will go into the camshaft so there is no real way of messing up the index on a 93-94 opti. Like the engineer said there is a dowel pin for, i think, 95 and later optis. My LT1 is a 94 so there is no dowel pin coming from the camshaft.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:55 AM

What I meant was, after you install the distributor, and when you go to put on the rotor, can you install it incorrectly? Or does it only fit in one position?
Again, the distributor hub and cam w/ dowel pin are keyed to only fit in one position. Once the cam dowel pin "engages" in the distributor hub keyed hole, it is correct. Although, you'll have to rotate the hub by turing the rotor until the cam pin and distirbutor hub are correctly aligned and the pin goes into the hole.

You simply can't just bolt the Opti distributor on-to the engine, you must first make sure both the cam and distributor are aligned correclty then engage (dowel pin and hub keyed hole). Once they are correctly engaged the distributor will easily slip back flush with the timing chain cover. If it doesn't slip back (gap between the distributor and timing chain cover), they aren't aligned/engaged correctly.

You have a 95, therefore it should have the cam dowel pin.

WD

Last edited by The Engineer; 06-21-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:27 PM

I'm sorry but I think that it's a bunch of bull that msd hasn't supplied us with the parts to install the opti correctly. Instead we're left to make due with what they have supplied us with and if it goes bad than it's "our fault for improperlly installing the unit". They should ship those square o-rings and notify past purchasers of these things. I already have the opti installed and it sorta ticks me off to think that I would have to rip everything back off just to make those two changes (o-ring and locktight). There should've been further R&D on this unit. Two thumbs down for MSD!!!
Old 06-21-2007, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by z28_4life
I'm sorry but I think that it's a bunch of bull that msd hasn't supplied us with the parts to install the opti correctly. Instead we're left to make due with what they have supplied us with and if it goes bad than it's "our fault for improperlly installing the unit". They should ship those square o-rings and notify past purchasers of these things. I already have the opti installed and it sorta ticks me off to think that I would have to rip everything back off just to make those two changes (o-ring and locktight). There should've been further R&D on this unit. Two thumbs down for MSD!!!
Hey, I'm with you man! I don't think anyone has more experience removing and replacing Optis than I do now. A title that I didn't necessarily aspire to achieve. Although I also had several Opti swaps before I bought the MSD and had the problems with it recently.

Additionally they say, “want doesn’t kill you makes you a better person.” The Optis didn’t quite kill me (just yet), so I guess I’m a better person now (maybe). One thing for sure, I’m much better at changing out Optis and I get a little faster each time.

WD
Old 06-21-2007, 07:09 PM

So is msd offering the gaskets free of charge or do we have to pay for the product +shipping and handling? I take it you own stock in water pump gaskets and coolent?
Old 06-21-2007, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by z28_4life
So is msd offering the gaskets free of charge or do we have to pay for the product +shipping and handling? I take it you own stock in water pump gaskets and coolent?
Call the MSD tech number explain your problem (be open-minded) and let everyone know the outcome here on the forum. Some of the MSD tech people are more helpful than others. I paid for my next-day shipping. They told me they didn't do next-day.

I keep extra LT water pump gaskets in my shop (FelPros are better than GMs) along with several gallons of antifreeze. Also, I still can't figure-out how about 2 1/2 gallons of coolant can appear to be about 10 gallons when it drips on the shop floor (even after you've drained the system in a pan)!

WD
Old 06-21-2007, 11:02 PM

Again, the distributor hub and cam w/ dowel pin are keyed to only fit in one position. Once the cam dowel pin "engages" in the distributor hub keyed hole, it is correct. Although, you'll have to rotate the hub by turing the rotor until the cam pin and distirbutor hub are correctly aligned and the pin goes into the hole.

You simply can't just bolt the Opti distributor on-to the engine, you must first make sure both the cam and distributor are aligned correclty then engage (dowel pin and hub keyed hole). Once they are correctly engaged the distributor will easily slip back flush with the timing chain cover. If it doesn't slip back (gap between the distributor and timing chain cover), they aren't aligned/engaged correctly.

You have a 95, therefore it should have the cam dowel pin.

WD

I know what you mean, I understand how to index the opti to the camshaft correctly. Sorry if I was unclear, but after the opti is installed and correctly indexed to the engine, is the rotor installed in only one location? That is what I had a question about.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:43 AM

1. If your MSD opti comes with the round O-ring. Don’t use the round one, it tends to slip off the machined lip on the CNC’ed housing (aluminum distributor body), or gets caught under the distributor cap.

4. Remove the rotor screws, then reinstall them using blue thread-locker and unsure the screws are tightened correctly (the rotor screws were loose on my MSD).
This kind of BS is unacceptable from an auto parts manufacturer and very disappointing from a high profile company like MSD, especially considering the price on this product and the nuisance of installation. WTF, MSD?
Old 06-22-2007, 09:47 AM

I know what you mean, I understand how to index the opti to the camshaft correctly. Sorry if I was unclear, but after the opti is installed and correctly indexed to the engine, is the rotor installed in only one location? That is what I had a question about.

Please re-read my post #4. I don't know how to explain it any better that that. And, you install the rotor "prior" to installing the distributor on the engine.

WD
Old 06-22-2007, 10:10 AM

Have you messed with the timing adjusting feature any?

Quick Reply: Some MSD Opti Install Tips