LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

So she's finally alive, but not without issues of course (video)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 05:24 PM

So she's finally alive, but not without issues of course (video)

You will notice a few thing during this video:

1. Bog down upon start up until I give it some gas

2. LOTS of ticking

3. No oil squirting from pushrods

4. Some smoke it revs up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSPcAVERQkw

The oil pressure is reading so high that the needle is off the gauge. I have a new oil pressure sending unit on the way since I broke mine, so that may or may not fix it.

When I took the valve covers off I discovered that some a couple of the rockers had backed off somehow and were sitting loose. I was going to try to re-adjust all of them but there is just so much ticking I can't isolate one at a time to fix it.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:30 PM

You need to set the rockers again before running the car. It is fairly easy to get them adjusted with the engine off.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Banned

i would try adjusting them with the engine off. set the engine to #1TDC on the compression stroke. at least you will get closer without as much ticking. the engine running method is hard to do. look at shoeboxes website

Last edited by Pontiac_97; 01-06-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pontiac_97
i would try adjusting them with the engine off. set the engine to TDC on the compression stroke. at least you will get closer without as much ticking. the engine running method is hard to do.
waste of time, i tried it

take the valve covers off, start it up, start on one side in the front and loosen the rocker until you can see it jumping up and down on the stud, slowly tighten it untill you hear it stop making noise(trust me you will tell even with the rest making noise) then set you pre load. move on to the next and the other side
Old 01-06-2008, 05:38 PM

unless your running solid lifters, they should quiet down once the oil starts flowing. If you dont get oil to the top end you could cause some serious dammage.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:44 PM

They are hydraulic lifters. I did put some extra oil up in the heads all over the rockers and everything, seems like its all just sitting on the bottom of the head now.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:52 PM

wit no oil coming out of the pushrods is not a good thing, i would wait to run it anymore unntill you get the oil pressure sending unit installed to verify oil pressure. imo the best way to set the rockers is with the engine off. i have done it several times with no problems. the smoke is probably crank case gasses moving up the pushrod holes. with the valve cover off the pcv system does not work right.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by 95z28man
3. No oil squirting from pushrods
You did reinstall the oil pump drive?
Old 01-06-2008, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by dangalla

take the valve covers off, start it up, start on one side in the front and loosen the rocker until you can see it jumping up and down on the stud, slowly tighten it untill you hear it stop making noise(trust me you will tell even with the rest making noise) then set you pre load. move on to the next and the other side
I agree with this.. Go through them all and make them quite. Then go back and start over one by one. Back them off untill it makes noise then tighten back up untill the noise goes away. Go another 1/8 or 1/4 turn and move to the next. Once there all done, shut it down, go back and snug the poly locks down and turn another 1/8 or 1/4 turn.. And your done.

Last edited by hotrod18_69; 01-06-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Stl94LT1
You did reinstall the oil pump drive?
Yeah the oil pump drive is in.

This kinda sucks, I was looking forward to getting it on the road finally. I have work all week now and I workout after that. So I don't have much time to get things done with it. I'm hoping this is all well worth it and I don't have any future problems with it, blown gaskets, leaks, etc.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dangalla

so because it didn't work for you he shouldnt try it? worked for me just fine. the engine running method is intimidating if you've never adjusted rockers before. everything gets hot after a couple minutes. oil starts flowing everywhere. its hard to tell if you have them tight enough or too tight.

at least he can get them closer to 0 lash before he starts it up again and risk breaking crap. im sure its not the best thing for the engine and cam when things are ticking that loud like that.

Last edited by Pontiac_97; 01-06-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pontiac_97
so because it didn't work for you he shouldnt try it? worked for me just fine. the engine running method is intimidating if you've never adjusted rockers before. everything gets hot after a couple minutes. oil starts flowing everywhere. its hard to tell if you have them tight enough or too tight.

at least he can get them closer to 0 lash before he starts it up again and risk breaking crap. im sure its not the best thing for the engine and cam when things are ticking that loud like that.
I have to agree with this post. If the car is loud, it can be hard to isolate the rocker noise your trying to adjust at the moment.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:52 PM

I like to set my rockers with the engine off. I didn't have any problems. Why are people advising doing it with the engine running? Its so hard to do with the surrounding engine noise!
Old 01-07-2008, 12:14 AM
nes

thats exactly how mine sounds, except im not seeing any oil pressure on the guage, the guage just stoped reading way after this noise started... any1 got a DETAILED description on setting this(adjusting rockers) with the car off??

Last edited by nes; 01-07-2008 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by 95z28man

The oil pressure is reading so high that the needle is off the gauge. I have a new oil pressure sending unit on the way since I broke mine, so that may or may not fix it.
Your oil pressure gauge was showing maxed before you even fired the engine! If you were to unplug a working oil pressure sending unit, it would do exactly that....peg on max. I would refrain from running it at all until you install a working sensor and make sure it has pressure........since you describe no visible oil up top and a loud valvetrain.

Quick Reply: So she's finally alive, but not without issues of course (video)