LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

So basically, I hate my life.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 02:51 PM

So basically, I hate my life.

Just bought, what I thought was a pretty nice camaro.

Well I just found out that either a head is cracked, or the head gasket is leaking.

Its gonna cost $1500-$2000 to repair.

Now I'm in college and I dont have $1500-$2000 to repair an engine, and I really dont want to beg my parents for the money, but I will if it comes to that.

I'm 19, and dont really have that much engine experience, so do you think it would be a bad idea to attempt this by myself.

A couple friends said they would help, and a car restorer lives next to me, but I'm sure he has better things to do than put a head gasket on a 95 camaro.

What would be the best route to go?

I also just bout the car a week ago, and the guy said he had the engine rebuilt 13,000 miles ago. Should I get on his case?
Old 08-09-2006, 03:09 PM

Re: So basically, I hate my life.

Do it yourself. Just build up some motivation. Read EVERYTHING you can on the internet. Maybe find a GM manual. Buy some used heads on the internet, I found some on ebay for 250$. You should be able to fix the whole thing yourself for less than 500$. Also make sure to not be in a rush. I would give yourself a good 5 days or so to do it if you've never done it yourself. I was in a similar situation when I had to replace my heads due to the previous owners mollesting the bolt holes in them. Let me know if you need any more advice or specifics.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:10 PM

The first thing you need to do is find out EXACTLY what the problem is.
What are the symptioms?
If it is a cracked head, you will need a head. If it is a head gasket leak, you will need to remove the head, have a machinest check it out for integrity and reinstall it.

Yes, you can remove and reinstall a head with little experience as long as you plan ahead and have the tools and the instrucitions on how to do it.

So it is important to get the correct diagnosis----apparently the shop has narrowed it down to either a gasket or a head. Makes a difference, however either way it will require removal of the head so the biggest cost will be the labor at around 60-75 hour. That would equate to about 15-20 hours at 1500 (gasket) or 15-20 hours plus cost for the head at the $2000 mark.

I would think that 8-10 hours would be more like it, plus any machining needed, plus or minius the cost of a head if needed.

Get a specific diagnosis and if it is a gasket or head issue, do it yourself.JMHO
Old 08-09-2006, 03:41 PM
Banned

Most likely since it's a aluminum head it just needs a head gasket. That's going to require a manual, gasket set and the tools and brains to know what you are doing. I'm sure shoebox has a good write up on changing cylinder heads on his site so you can follow that. I would recomend the Helms manual for your car since that will walk you thru it step by step.

might want to read this thread as well

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465336

Bret
Old 08-09-2006, 03:47 PM

Thanks guys for the confidence booster.

So basically yall think its a waste of money to go the $1500 - $2000 route.

How many hours do you think it would take if I were to just do it, not knowing anything at all really.

I'm going back to college and i'm gonna have about a week of doing abosutely nothing but dirnking.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:59 PM

Probably take a good 3 days----taking into consideration that you are starting from 0. If you plan ahead with the tools and the instructions and do everything including removing everything (and not trying to get around moving something) and make note---yes use paper and pencil---of each of your steps, including what size wrench you used---and by all means make sure you tighten your bolts in the correct order using the correct torque you will shave some time and trouble off the job.

If you do it half-A$$ed, you probably won't finish in time for school or you will finish but screw up the job which in turn you shall pay for dearly. JMHO
Old 08-09-2006, 04:18 PM

Like everyone said - do it yourself. It isn't that bad - and you will learn a lot. You also seem to have a good support network between your neighbor and your friends - so you should be fine. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

It's a long and tedious job, and for a first timer it will be difficult, I at leat wont sugar coat it. Unbolting the heads, getting them cleaned and putting a new gasket in place is not the difficult part. It's just that you have to remove almost everything on the car to get to them.Torquing things down properly, replacing the right parts, setting up the valves, etc.etc. is and can be a handful to attempt when your not familiar with the car. I'd go back to the guy that sold you the car and get on him about it. Sorry just being honest. You shouldn't have to do a major and yes swapping gaskets is major work, for a car that you brought in "good condition" if that's what he advertised it to you as.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:46 PM

Its not that hard. I printed out instructions and just followed them. I also used masking tape to label everything and zip-lock bags for the bolts, which were also labeled. If money permits.....why not put a cam in it. Your gonna have it apart anyway.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
It's a long and tedious job, and for a first timer it will be difficult, I at leat wont sugar coat it. Unbolting the heads, getting them cleaned and putting a new gasket in place is not the difficult part. It's just that you have to remove almost everything on the car to get to them.Torquing things down properly, replacing the right parts, setting up the valves, etc.etc. is and can be a handful to attempt when your not familiar with the car. I'd go back to the guy that sold you the car and get on him about it. Sorry just being honest. You shouldn't have to do a major and yes swapping gaskets is major work, for a car that you brought in "good condition" if that's what he advertised it to you as.
He said the engine was rebuilt 13,000 miles ago.

Does a "rebuilt" generally include a head gasket replacement?
Old 08-09-2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by micfly83

It should.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:29 PM

do it yourself - just make your friends sign an agreement so they dont bail once they look under the hood and provide lots of beer- it numbs the pain

but honestly - its intimidating but once you get in there its really not too bad - i was real impressed -

my proudest moment
Old 08-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Originally Posted by micfly83

A rebuilt engine includes new head gaskets. It's not reccomended to reuse headgaskets once the heads have been removed, and you can't properly setup a bottom end with the heads on.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Originally Posted by kingman109
do it yourself - just make your friends sign an agreement so they dont bail once they look under the hood and provide lots of beer- it numbs the pain

but honestly - its intimidating but once you get in there its really not too bad - i was real impressed -

my proudest moment
Imagine if the LT had room like that before you pulled all the coolant gear off of it.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:23 PM

Alright I think i'm leaning 70% towards doing it myself. I just went out there and stared at my engine and it doesn't seem THAT bad. Just removing a bunch of stuff......right.

Anything I can do to it to bump up some HP, thats fairly cheap....

Right now its completely stock.

I feel like I have to do something since the engine will be in pieces...maybe just cleaning stuff.

Maybe port the heads.

Quick Reply: So basically, I hate my life.