CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   SLP shorty headers (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/slp-shorty-headers-404967/)

Crazy95Z 10-22-2005 01:15 PM

Re: SLP shorty headers

Hey man, RedThunder1994's car is a '94 A4 Z/28. Since you asked. Pm him or me if you have any questions when installing them.

Joe 1320 10-22-2005 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by HardcoreRM125
I dont know that I would agree with that.

Put a high flow Y on with a set of long tubes and compare it back to the shorties with a high flow y ... Their still going to flow better ...

If shorties flowed just as good with a good Y-Pipe, every racing vehicle in the world would go with shorties because it would be lighter to have shorty headers going into a single larger pipe than the weight of 4 longer individual pipes ...

Bottom line is that shorties dont flow as good, their not long enough ... You need certain length exhaust to apply to certain power ranges ... And on a stock LT1, shorties arent cutting. An near stock LT1 doesnt rev high enough to take the advantages of shorties.

Shorties are great for a high revving set up, but for something that is spinning under 6500, LT's dominate.

You make some good points, but it is not all about total flow. The biggest advantage of long tubes is the increased torque below the torque peak. Collectors are often lengthened even further to increase the torque below the peak. In a basically stock configuration, these cars just don't put out the power for this issue to be of large significance. Tell me you are going to feel 10 HP just by the seat of your pants or scraping speedbumps just be be 1 tenth quicker in the quarter? That's a tradeoff that only the car's owner will be able to justify. maybe if we were discussing 400 rwhp and greater or a decent increase in cubes the difference would be greater, but not at this level. Just as a point of referance, my 97 WS6 automatic with a complelty untouched long block, stock stall converter automatic runs 13.0s at 107 with SLP shorties, random tech high flow Y pipe (with dual bullet cats) and 4" mufflex. Funny thing is my neighbor who had a 95 Z, stock motor, stick shift went 13.20s at 105 with hooker long tubes, mufflex Y (no cat)and a borla. One would think the 95 would be quicker. It had fewer miles, supposedly better exhaust and a stick. It's the 107 vs 105 that indicates that the shorties and Y pipe are doing a great job. That and I have zero clearance problems, no scraping, no banging, and will pass a sniffer test. :D There's more than one way to get it done.

HardcoreRM125 10-22-2005 11:07 PM

Yea, I understand what your saying ... I actually dont know that there even would be a peak difference of 10 hp, but like you said, it gives more low end grunt and a little more power throughout the powerband of the motor.

Im not going to say hsorties are junk, cause they definatly do have their place, and they hold their own, but so much of it is in the Y pipe ... If you get shorties and keep your stock Y pipe you wasted a day working on your car cause your not going to notcie much.

Joe 1320 10-23-2005 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by HardcoreRM125
If you get shorties and keep your stock Y pipe you wasted a day working on your car cause your not going to notcie much.

You're right on the money. Especially the dual cat Y pipe. That driver's side cat is a real pos. Come to think of it, the rest isn't too good either. :D