LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

SLP shorty headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 10:10 AM

SLP shorty headers

Hey guys I got my used SLP headers from a guy on the forum. They are in decent shape and all great seller but I am not sure they are correct. I am looking at them they seem to go up from the heads rather than down and both sides have odd plates on them to bolt to the Y pipe. Do I need a special SLP Y pipe I didnt look under the car yet but will these bolt to my stock Y pipe etc. I should have got some instructions LOL maybe I am just paranoid listening to all of the 11 hour header changes on here but one of the flat plates is huge looking
Old 10-21-2005, 10:29 AM

Re: SLP shorty headers

those sound like 96/97 headers
Old 10-21-2005, 11:04 AM

Hey man, you bought those off RedThunder1994 right? If so, yes they bolt up no problems to your stock y-pipe. I've helped him with those headers so many times now it's rediculous. Just get some new gaskets and you should be good to go.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:35 AM

Sounds like you have a set of 96-97 headers, which will not work with your 93's y-pipe.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:35 AM

What year does he have? I have a 93 LT1, I havent looked yet at the stock Y pipe but that big flat flange looked weird. I will see if I can post some pics and do a search for installing SLP headers to see what I come up with.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:42 AM

Yes they are 96 but he mentioned they had been modified for a 93-94 model I am not sure what that means can anyone explain it better? Also are there some performance advantages to getting an SLP or other Y pipe so these will make better power? I dont want to spend megabucks but if I can get better flow for not alot of money and they will fit better I am all for that.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:16 PM

get rid of em and get mids or lt's.

shorties are worthless.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:42 PM

Switching to longtubes on a stock application will give you about an extra 10 horsepower over shorties.

If you need to pass emissions, keep your stock Y. If you know someone who will lick n stick your car for you, then rip it out cause getting rid of the cat will give you a couple more horsepower, and make it sounds beastly and raspy.

Mine sounds pretty mean, but the Flowmaster is holding back a couple horses ... I need a good dual outlet muffler that flows great and still has that flowmaster sound. I dont like how hookers sound or loudmouths.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:09 PM

Are we talking 5-7 HP going from shorties to mids or LT cause I am not buying another set to gain 7 HP PLus what are the drawbacks from mids or LT's
Old 10-21-2005, 02:28 PM

mids: no real drawbacks besides needing an aftermarket y-pipe, emissions legal... close to the HP numbers of LT's depending on the quality headers
LT's: clearance issues under the car, emissions... but probably the most power.

From what i have gathered... shorties are barely better than stock manifolds, like maybe a couple of HP at best.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:30 PM

Youll gain about 10 HP with long tubes over shorties. People who had catbacks, then switched to LTs with ORY's were consistantly dynoeing over 20 RWHP. Some with 25 even
Old 10-21-2005, 02:50 PM

The factory Y pipe stinks at best. My Random Tech Dual Cat Y pipe gave me another 10 HP over the factory Y. Combine that with the SLP shorties and thats a 25 HP gain without the clearance and emissions issues of long tubes.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:22 PM

The whole idea of an efficient high-flow exhaust system is to reduce back pressure, increase scavening, and reduce "bad" emissions.

With a 350 CID a 1 3/4 dia primary does a better job than a similar design and primary length 1 5/8 dia primary.

It is getting quite boring hearing about how longer tubed headers are superior to mid-lengths, and mid-lengths are superior to so-called shorties.

Of course if the LTs and mid-lengths are less restrictive and more efficient than shorties...but as it has been reiterated a zillion times, if you plan on staying within the law, you are probably going to have to go with which ever type headers allow you to leave the catylic convertors, both location and number, in OEM configuration. Going with SLP shorties, because of the 1 3/4 diameter primaries, you wind up with a somewhat contorted design in order to have equal length primaries that connect to the cats at the OEM location. Going with a custom Y pipe, eg. Random in lieu of the stock Y will increase the value of the shorties (for a price ).

There are probably lots of custom fabricators who can provide you with a good-design shortie coupled with a custom Y pipe that will provide good results, even with a 1 5/8 dia. primary.

Bottom line: I don't believe the few hp increases provided by LTs over the often ragged-on SLPs, depending on the Y-Pipe and performance of the cats, warrants the expense in both $$ and possible consequences of violating federal clean act laws.

As mentioned, too many times, generally LTs will give you around 10 HP more over SLP shorties, but if you added a high-flow Y to the combo, I'm pretty sure that 10 HP advantage is going to abate.

You can gain 10 HP in many different ways other than paying for Lts, custom Y pipes, e.g. going with high lift rockers and some good springs.

And this is NOT against the law.JMHO
Old 10-22-2005, 11:13 AM

I dont know that I would agree with that.

Put a high flow Y on with a set of long tubes and compare it back to the shorties with a high flow y ... Their still going to flow better ...

If shorties flowed just as good with a good Y-Pipe, every racing vehicle in the world would go with shorties because it would be lighter to have shorty headers going into a single larger pipe than the weight of 4 longer individual pipes ...

Bottom line is that shorties dont flow as good, their not long enough ... You need certain length exhaust to apply to certain power ranges ... And on a stock LT1, shorties arent cutting. An near stock LT1 doesnt rev high enough to take the advantages of shorties.

Shorties are great for a high revving set up, but for something that is spinning under 6500, LT's dominate.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:14 AM

Also, most shops dont care if your converter is moved, they simply look to see that it is there, and that youll pass the sniffer. So dont let that worry you too much.

Or you can find someone who will jsut sticker the thing

Quick Reply: SLP shorty headers