LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Serpentine belt and power steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 08:59 AM

Serpentine belt and power steering

I just recently had my ac compressor seize up and my serpentine belt break at a family members houses about 15 minutes away from mine. The pulley for the compressor will not move. Will it hurt my power steering pump if I drove my 94 z28 camaro back to my place without a belt on?

Specs:
94 z28 camaro 383 golen stroker, 330 cam, edelbrock heads and edelbrock shorty headers, moly chrome drive shaft, and 12 bolt.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:39 AM

Re: Serpentine belt and power steering

It will be tough to steer without the PS pump turning. Also, without the alternator spinning the battery will not be charging. Which means that the engine will be running solely on battery power. If your battery is in good shape, you might make it home. Don't use any accessories, including turn signals. It's real IFFY...

Good luck.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:10 AM

Im not worried about the battery. Its a good battery and i have a second ready to go. Im just hoping the power steering will be fine for a 15 min drive through town.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

You won't have power steering. Get ready to muscle it through every turn. AFAIK you will not hurt anything in the power steering system by driving it a bit. If there is a route that involves less stop-and-go and fewer turns (especially intersection turns -- curves are fine), take it. Even if it's longer.

Your currently good battery will almost certainly be killed in the process. Turn off the radio and the blower, and keep RPMs low to minimize the power drawn by the ignition and fuel systems.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:02 PM

it won't hurt the PS pump...but you will likely drain your battery in the 15 min trip and "just" make it if the battery is in top notch shape.