LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Serious Help - Rebuilding My Engine!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 06:18 PM

Serious Help - Rebuilding My Engine!

I have a cracked #7 cylinder and I need to rebuild my engine. I'm bout to go crazy now because I can't afford any of this. So anyhow I'm looking for some suggestions on what I should do to get the MOST value out of my money.

What are my Options?
What will it cost?
What should I look out for while rebuilding it?
Sell the car buy a beater? (Nooo!)

I'm going to have to take a loan out to do this all because I need my car to get around... and i have to pay for school/rent/food etc. So I really only want suggestions which would really the best value for me.

Drop in a new used engine? Repair the old engine? Should i do anything else while i'm all in there? Yes I'd love to drop in an overbored supercharged stroker monster but thats just not an option at the moment (unless you know how i can do that for a decent price

I'm in a real tight bind and i know that theyre a lot of really great people on this board so id greatly appreciate some indepth and detailed answers. Hopefully itll be useful to anyone else wanting to completly rebuild their engine.

You guys are great so hope you can help me here
Old 04-17-2003, 07:23 PM

Did you crack your cylinder or piston? If cylinder is bad don’t rebuild just buy a used engine (short block). I had similar problem and I purchased used engine (67k miles), for $500 and it works great!!! If you want rebuild you have to buy new pistons, connecting rods and add $200 for machine work...
Old 04-17-2003, 11:24 PM

The Cylinder is cracked.
I'm going to try my best to find a used block I think. Any other suggestions out there ? (Comon guys lay off the Civic Z28 thread for a few minutes
I'm not too knowledgable on whats involved with putting in a new used engine. What comes with one usually? (sorry if that sounds stupid). I'm just thinking bout things like the opti and such. Can I sell components out of my car to help make up for some of the costs? I do have a great mechanic and i know he'll be open to things so long as they make sense and give me a great price on most of it all...
Old 04-17-2003, 11:34 PM

You might as well bore it/stroke it to a 383, cuase its the best thing to do at the moment. Get the probe forged 383 stroker kit with oversized pistons and crank with rod and everything for $1275 and find a machine shop that will machine each cylidner hole for 20$ and port and polish the cylinder heads for 180$. If you are smart you can get away with an extremely powerful engine while fixing it at the same time for less then 1800$ and some time. Thats the deal im getting. I was smart about it. OR you can buy a forged rebuild kit from summit for our cars for only 539 and it comes with everything you need. OR you can just but that one cylinder for very cheap and just replace it.......

How do you know that the #7 cylinder is cracked? What are the symptoms and how do you know its #7.

L8GR8Z
Old 04-18-2003, 12:02 AM

I think your best bet would be to buy a new LT1 short block for $1650 from Salee Chevrolet. Sure you can get a used engine but what are you buying? These short blocks have a GM warranty.
Arebuild or stroker will cost you more in the long run.
I say this because you said funds are tight. These are new 4 bolt blocks and there are many people pushing them hard if you want to do more in the future.
If you rebuild by the time you get a block, do machine work you're almost at the same price.

hope this helps
Old 04-18-2003, 12:41 AM
Banned

if you dont need forged, dont get forged.

if your staying under 450-500hp, there is no need for forged anything. And dont say nitrous because stock pistons can handle 200 shots

I say just get a used rotating assembly, maybe freshen it up and there ya go
Old 04-19-2003, 05:58 AM

I had the engine opend up and they said yup #7 is cracked. I will be staying under 450 hp So going forged internals is only if I'm gona go nutz on stuff.
Do you guys think its worth it to throw in new RR and springs? Supposing i get a used engine put in... or even reuse my current engine stuff...
Old 04-19-2003, 11:47 AM
Banned

Originally posted by toby360
I had the engine opend up and they said yup #7 is cracked. I will be staying under 450 hp So going forged internals is only if I'm gona go nutz on stuff.
Do you guys think its worth it to throw in new RR and springs? Supposing i get a used engine put in... or even reuse my current engine stuff...
i'm lost-

1. why are there forged internals-
I can maybe understand forged pistons, but rods and crank

2. Your going forged intrenals, 450hp and your going to do this with stock springs?
Old 04-19-2003, 12:11 PM

no no no no.. I was just repeating what you said.. that forged internals would only be good if i were going nutz (450-500+). And was asking if I should replace m ystock springs on my engine since it was running over 100 000 miles + on it... I will definatly be UNDER 400 hp I think =P