LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Seized Motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 08:06 PM

Unhappy Seized Motor

Well, shortly after doing my cam install my oil pump went out without warning and my motor seized up. (My dad was driving it at the time, if I heard all of the metal to metal I think I would have stopped). But anyway a few questions. Over the next few months I'll be saving some money up and hopefully I'll have around $5,000 saved up to spend on my car. First off, do I need a whole new motor or can I get it rebuilt and I would also like to have heads done on it as long as I'm having it worked on. I would like to get some after market parts in the bottom end but I'm not sure that I'll have the budget for it. What do you guys think? Any suggestions that I haven't mentioned are also welcome, just really bummed about the whole car =(
Old 08-23-2003, 08:22 PM

Well I just had the same thing happen to me. I put the hot cam in with all the correct parts to go with it and it lasted 3000 miles and the bearings went out. Literally melted them telling me the oil pump must have failed. I took the motor apart and noticed none of the main bearings spun. I just rebuilt my motor and added a few internal parts. Forged pistons, rods and crank. But used the same block and the heads where still good as well. Being that your motor locked up, you would have to tear it apart to see the extent of the damage. the heads should be fine, but the crank and rods are probably wasted as well as the cylinder walls are probably scored from not having any oil. The block can be reused but will need to be checked and machined by a machine shop. I had my shortblock all rebuilt including parts, machining, balancing and assy. labor for 3000. I could have reused my heads but decided since the motor was out I just put on a set of ported and polished LT4 heads. But like I said, your heads could be reused. I would have them at least freshened up for the new shortblock.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:31 PM

That's great news that your rebuild was only $3,000. That means I can can get some heads also. Did you supply the parts to the shop and just have them do the labor, or what?
Old 08-23-2003, 08:39 PM

I had the machine hot tank the block, replace all the freeze plugs and cam bearings, check the line bore, check the deck for sqaureness, Bore the cylinders to .28 and then plate hone them to .30. I had them buy some TRW forged pistons, moly rings and eagle rods. I supplied the crank. They blanced the lower end parts and assembled it. I installed and degree'd the cam myself. I reused my Hotcam as it was still in good shape. They also supplied me with a new oil pump (HV) a screen and a hardened pump shaft and all the gaskets (Fel-Pro) I even had them get me the better Head gaskets so I can run Nitrous and not worry about blowing a head gasket.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:51 AM
Banned

THe ability to reuse the block is going to be dependant on what actually seized up and where.