LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Rough Idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 07:50 AM

Rough Idle problem

Ok, on my Purple Pearl 93 T/A, it has a hotcam kit, ported heads, ect. ect. Here's the deal:

This thing WON'T idle nicely at all. Now, I don't expect a quiet smooth idle, but this thing surges from 400 to 750 or so. It doesn't idle at the stock prescribed 850, and heaven forbid I turn on the A/C at idle, it will stall out real fast.

I replaced the IAC, helped initially, but then the car went back to the rough time idling. Anyone have any ideas? Is there any particular way to replace the IAC, or is it just put it in and go?
Old 08-13-2003, 08:12 AM

Does it make your SES light come on? My car kinda is doing the same thing. Droping RPM'S at idle and SES light goes off. Throws 2 codes on me as well, I am in the process of still trying to figure it out.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:14 AM

No, no SES codes, but then again, I could flash the computer and see if anything came up.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:21 AM

hmmmm, mine throws the SES light just when the rpm's drop. Try and flash it and see what happens. See if you get any codes..
Old 08-13-2003, 08:35 AM

Nothing at all. No codes. I started her up, and within about 20 seconds she died. It's ticking me off!!!! Map sensor maybe, but then again that should throw a code.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:42 AM

Yea possibly MAP i guess. But i wouldnt think it would die after only 20 seconds after start-up. Are your plugs still good or any wires touching maybe?
Old 08-13-2003, 08:49 AM

No wires touching, it's got taylor OVC setup. Plugs should be good, but I guess I should check that stuff.

Problem is that the previous owner had the same problem. He got it after the M6 swap, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it, or rather what that could have to do with it. He didn't get the flywheel balanced to the flexplate, but I'm doubtful that could be the cause. It revvs smooth as can be, just doesn't idle right.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:55 AM

so it HAS to have something to do with the idling. Is there any kind of vacuum leak mabe? Check your intake elbow maybe and see if it is torn up underneath. Maybe something wasn't done right with the swap that was made. So if you are at a light, it will die on you?
Old 08-13-2003, 08:58 AM

Only sometimes. Once she's up and warmed up for a while, the car will search for an idle. 400-750 back and forth, I keep tapping the gas to keep her from dying.

I was thinking Vacuum leak myself, because someone else posted about a rough searching idle and it sounded exactly like my problem. My problem however is I'm not too technically proficient in diagnosing a vacuum leak.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:02 AM

i am in the same boat as you there. when it comes to looking for that kinda stuff, i am lost. Could it possibly be your altenator maybe? So the way it sounds is that you have a pretty hefty cam when at idle. I cant stand the sound of my car when it drops RPM's lower than 700.. it just has that feeling like this isn't right
Old 08-13-2003, 09:20 AM

No, the alternator wouldn't have anything to do with the searching for idle would it??

The hotcam isn't a big cam at all. I know there's some tuning issues to be had because it gets cam surge at low speed/light throttle.

I just need to start tearing into it.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:24 AM

Try a search on IAC, I have seen alot of topics about the IAC needing to be cleaned or replaced.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:29 AM

I already did replace the IAC.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:35 AM

I dont know then except for maybe a vacuum leak. Let me know whatever you find out though, I sure would like to get mine corrected as well. I am about ready to get rid of my car though. The upkeep of them are like WHOAAAA....
Old 08-13-2003, 09:53 AM

Ok, after poking around, here's what I've found so far:

On the opti vacuum harness, where the t intersection goes into the drives side of the intake manifold, the end of the T to the rear of the car. This little vacuum line goes nowhere. There's about 8" or so, and it's been broken it looks like.

Also, the little vacuum line coming from the top of the EGR valve is not going to anything, there's just about 3-4 inches going nowhere. It does not look like it was connected to the opti vacuum harness piece I mentioned.

Could this be the cause?

EDIT: The egr vacuum line is supposed to go to the EGR soleniod. Yet, it doesn't. Could that be the problem?

Also, I found that on the AIR injection tubes, where they come around the back on the intake manifold from the driver side, there's what looks like a connection for a small hose, but there's no hose. Anyone know where this goes? Edit: disregard. It's a vent, and supposed to be unplugged.

Last edited by Fastbird93; 08-13-2003 at 10:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle problem