LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Rotors Going South, Options????

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 12:42 AM

Rotors Going South, Options????

I have a vibration of the stearing wheel when stopping more so the faster I'm going and the faster I'm stopping. I'm pretty sure this means my rotors in the front are warped.
What options do I have? besides resurfacing?
I'd like some better stopping power, as the car doesnt seem to have the stopping power to match the acceleration.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:30 AM

Depends on how much braking you want.

For me my car is nothing more than my daily driver that has some snot to her. I don't expect to beef it up so stock brakes are fine for me. I just went to Autozone and bought new rotors and pads all the way around which is the easiest wat to go. You can get the rotors resurfaced but chanes are they will end up below tolerances thickness.

If you are looking up upgrading it will cost you more. You can look at Jegs, Summitt, and others as there are many options.

Some guys are even upgrading to LS1 brakes for their Lt1's.

For the cheaper Autozone way I think you can buy rotors and pads for around $150 for all four wheels.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:37 AM

Power slot rotors are good.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by pearlpurple

Some guys are even upgrading to LS1 brakes for their Lt1's.

I read a little about this, so this would jsut be parts from a wrecker i assume? how much better are the LS1 components?

I saw the bear track claw front setup that looked good, would this be better then the LS1 setup? I'm jsut a little woried about the drilled being up in the cold here.

with the powerslots, thats just a stop replacment right? not much added stopping power?
What about the aratispeeds (SP??) from baer for a direct replacment?

I'm not sure how much more braking power I need, autocross will be done this summer, but not competitivly, just for fun. so I would need something that can take that abuse. The biggest thing I noticed is that the car is a beast to stop, my 01 grand am gt stopped much better.

Also what kind of pads should I be looking for? I dont want ones that are going to eat my rotor to fast or anything, but have a good bite.

Last edited by Xride; 02-02-2003 at 12:00 PM.