LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

replaced everything brake releated in the front of the car, still pulls hard left

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 04:01 PM
Banned

replaced everything brake releated in the front of the car, still pulls hard left

replaced everything in the front ...

calipers
pads
rotors
brake lines (rubber ones)

and rotated my tires

and when i hit the brakes the car still pulls to the left pretty hard.

what would cause this??
Old 12-07-2003, 04:34 PM

Could be something wrong with your ABS master cyl.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:39 PM

If you haven't done the back, I would say maybe the problem is there. Or you have a pressure differential problem. The only way the ABS could be a problem is if it kicked in and released the right side brakes but if that happened the "low trac" light would have lit so that isn't the problem.

As far as the differential pressure problem is concerned, I assume that you bled the brakes and the right side bled just as the left side did. Thus indicating there was no sort of blockage. If you haven't bled the system then that may be your problem. I suppose you could do a static pressure test at each caliper with a gage to see what the pressures are.

If your still stumped then give us some history of the problem and when you did the repairs.

Now that I think of it why wouldn't the ABS try to correct this problem since the left side should be spinning at a slower rate than the right side???????

Hmmmmm lets think about some sort of suspension problem. I'm not being rude but this is a very interesting problem. Got to think about this one over night.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:33 PM
Banned

bled the brakes yes

i wasn't watching specifically for flow rates, but i don't recall either side flowing any differently. actually now that i look back at it both front ones at least shot out with equal intensity when we first started bleeding it to get the air out.

possible that the ABS valve for one side is stuck partially closed and not providing enough opening while the car is maybe running?

i've asked a guy who knows brakes/suspension for a living and he's just as stumped.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:46 PM

Brake steer. Maybe some bump-steer, you say "hit" the brakes, so I assume you mean press firmly, thus you get some suspension movement, resulting in your car turning?

Does it do it when you lightly press the brakes?

If not, get an alignment.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:56 PM

i assume that the car steers and drives normal when cruising. this happens when u first hit the brakes and then after the initial application of the brakes the car steers fine.....My 68 rs/ss camaro did this and it was the ball joint.....Check it out, its probably not the brakes....good luck.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:55 PM

I agree w/ Larnach and Briank8811. Sounds more like something w/ the suspension.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:06 AM

For the ABS to be a problem it would be setting a code and lighting the ABS light. It knows where the ABS motors are. So unless your getting a light that we don't know about, that's not it. I thought about the suspension thing I mentioned and figured that it has to be movement of the wheel fore and aft not up and down. As BrianK mentioned possible ball joints. Tie rod ends could contribute to this as well.

I would think however that this type of suspension problem would have 2 side effects. 1 it would wear the crap out of your front tire(s) and 2 you should feel something happening when you turn and possibly hear clunking or banging. Since you didn't mention it, I assume you have neither.

Im still sticking with the back break as the problem. If you haven't already done so, pull the left rear brake piston and see what it looks like.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:41 AM
Banned

front tires are in fact getting very bad wear, that was the main reason for rotating them. i don't hear any clinking however.

tie rod ends... they have rubber bushings at the end of them right? i think mine are completly shot, if i am thinking about the correct thing. i'll try to get a picture today.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:54 AM
Banned

i found it on shoebox's site so i circled it:

http://anasazi.sytes.net/front_hub.jpg

thats pretty much torn in half... i can see through it. is that what you mean?
Old 12-08-2003, 04:08 PM
Banned

went out and took a picture of it

http://anasazi.sytes.net/digitalcam/MVC-682S.JPG

yes, its completly torn in half. could this cause it to pull to the left while braking? i don't notice any slack in my steering wheel at all.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:27 PM

That's it, there's your problem. Great job. Get both of them replaced, have the ball joints checked at the same time. Get her realigned and your in fat city. Great job
Old 12-08-2003, 04:39 PM

That should be it..
Try moving the wheel left to right and observe[or feel with finger] the tie rod end.. you should feel the 'play'...[there shouldn't be any]
That surely could contribute to what you are talking about tho..
Old 12-17-2003, 12:01 PM
Banned

well it wasn't suspension

took it to a suspension guy, he says all the suspension and steering stuff is fine. the thing i was looking at was the dust cover.

also,

we turned the rotors, and the drivers side (the side it pulls torwards) was "very" warped according to him. we also took a sander to the pads and sanded off a layer, then we swapped the pads and rotors to the opposite sides and took it for a spin. everything worked GREAT! ... for about a day, and now its back to pulling to the left once more.

when we had it up we turned the wheels and we noticed the drivers side caliper wouldn't let go as well as the passenger side, it was always grabbing. this could have been because the rotor was warped, but here we are just a few days later and its back to normal pulling to the left, and hard left when i hit the brakes.

what would cause the caliper to stick like that?

we've already replaced

both calipers
both front pads
both rotors, and turned them
both rubber brake lines
flushed all the fluid and bled them good.
rotated the tires

and it STILL pulls to the left, and pulls HARD left when i hit the brakes.

alignment is great, we checked that and its the same on both sides well within factory spec. when we bled the system with the car off both sides bled the same.

what could be causing it to pull to the left hard while braking? and pull all the time while driving?

could the ABS module be doing it?
Old 12-17-2003, 12:30 PM

Have you checked the wheel bearing assemblies?

Quick Reply: replaced everything brake releated in the front of the car, still pulls hard left