LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

replace with bose speakers or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 04:37 PM

replace with bose speakers or something else?

I tried the audio section and got no help so i'll try with you guys.
I have a 95Z that came with bose from the factory and both the rear speakers are blown out, but the sub is fine, and so are the door speakers. I want to replace my rear speakers with some good speakers but i don't need anything that fancy. Should i go back with bose or with some other brand. I have heard bose have individual amps on each speaker so if i replace the bose with something else will i lose the amp for that speaker? When i had my doors apart i noticed the front speakers have big black boxes attached to them. I just want good sound quality, good fit in the stock location, a fair price, and be able to bump every once in awhile. What do you guys recommend? Bose or something else?
Old 10-09-2003, 04:52 PM

You have to go with Bose speakers. The amp is on the speaker, so yes, you will not be amped with an aftermarket speaker. Now, if you don't want to go with Bose again, then you will need to redo the whole system including the Head Unit. Check the for sale section and see if someone has some speakers for sale. Now, you can replace the Head Unit and put in an adapter to drop the output going to Bose speakers and not blow them.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:54 PM

I've heard a few different recommendations on this subject.

#1. If buying from a dealer, you must buy an entire new speaker assembly (speaker, amp, and box), which Jason Cromer told me was around $200 per unit.

#2. If you go with aftermarket speakers, you need to go to an aftermarket head unit also. The bose head unit sends pre-amp signals to the speakers. Your other alternative would be to buy a 4-channel amplifier and keep your head unit.

#3. Check ebay for replacement speakers, I think I saw a set of door speakers (just the speakers, not the box or amp) for something like $20.

Someone else will probably chime in and list a few more options for you.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:49 PM

correct me if im wrong but i dont think that the backseat speakers have amps?if they do why are they not as loud as the other three?
Old 10-09-2003, 07:01 PM

So it won,t mess up your soundstage, those rear speakers are in the absolute worst position and if they are not toned down they drown out the front stage.
I pulled everything when I did mine and went with just front speakers and a rear sub box.