LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Remve the cats

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 07:35 AM

Remve the cats

Hello, I am new here but Ive been reading alot on this board.I bought my car from a friend and the car had been sitting for 3 years.I had all the opti,spark plug and wire problems.Converted to vented with great info on this board,thanks everybody. Now runs great but I would like to remove the cat ,do I need to "fool the O2 senors or what else needs to be done.No checks done here.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:41 AM

Honestly, I know some ppl will disagree BUT. Leave the cat in!! I have a 1994 TA GT, and it has the 1 cat setup, its gutted and its UNREAL how much low end power you loose, its better in the top end though. Your realy just looking for problems, though it wont damage the motor. I think you should leave it in. Plus the pops that sound like fire crackers exploding agianst metal kinda sounds horrible when you rev it up. Upto you though. Plus if you add a exhaust, it will be way to loud
Old 07-18-2003, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by NVetro
Honestly, I know some ppl will disagree BUT. Leave the cat in!! I have a 1994 TA GT, and it has the 1 cat setup, its gutted and its UNREAL how much low end power you loose, its better in the top end though. Your realy just looking for problems, though it wont damage the motor. I think you should leave it in. Plus the pops that sound like fire crackers exploding agianst metal kinda sounds horrible when you rev it up. Upto you though. Plus if you add a exhaust, it will be way to loud
GTs are different. :P We have plenty of Trq already. The horsepower gain up top is well worth it. I removed my cat and noticed it was easier to get off the line (Less trq...or rather not as much down low) and the car pulls harder up top. Trust me Ive gone from a 97mph trap to 102mph so far As long as you have no exhaust leaks..my car has rarely had pops/backfires and only if I let out at the top of a gear suddenly.

Good luck regardless of what you decide.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:23 PM

I was wondering if anyone else had an opinion on this. I was thinking about doing the same thing.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:30 PM

if you guys want to remove the cat i strongly agree that you should put a 3" cut out in its place. i had the usual popping noises with my flows but now its all better i lost some low end w/ the cut out but up top i gained a lot, now i trap around 4-5 mph higher than with the cat there. i'm shooting for a 13.6-13.7 this time around but i need a helmet. i used to trap around 96-97 now i trap around 100-101.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:31 PM

Hmmm, I don't think I'd go taking off the cat just yet. Especially if you're still running stock manifolds. I would bet at this point a nice catback would be a good mod. Removing the cat seems to be a mod that everyone jumps on just because it's free. Don't get me wrong, I have removed my cat, but I had all the bolt ons when I did it, and had plans for the heads/cam at the time.

John
Old 07-18-2003, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by FastZinTennessee
Hmmm, I don't think I'd go taking off the cat just yet. Especially if you're still running stock manifolds. I would bet at this point a nice catback would be a good mod. Removing the cat seems to be a mod that everyone jumps on just because it's free. Don't get me wrong, I have removed my cat, but I had all the bolt ons when I did it, and had plans for the heads/cam at the time.

John
I've got a catback, and am wanting to install longtubes next. What do you think about an offroad pipe for me when I do my headder install? I'm not really wanting to do a cam anytime soon. Also, what's everyone's opinion on coated ORP?
Old 07-18-2003, 02:09 PM

After you get long tubes, running offroad pipes instead of dual cats will give you about a 5 horsepower advantage. I'd go that route only because it's a lot cheaper than buying high flow cats. As for now, I'd leave the cat in.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:20 PM

Here's what you do. Cut off the cat and weld in a straight piece of pipe in its place. If you have a single cat car with only 2 O2s (left and right side, before the cat) you don't need sims. You only need that if you have O2s after the cats. Don't just hollow out the cat. That's not good because the pipe is smaller then larger then smaller and it messes with the flow. That's probably why some people are not liking !CAT. There is no reason to have cats on a car that is not in an emissions enforced area.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by EviLBoX
After you get long tubes, running offroad pipes instead of dual cats will give you about a 5 horsepower advantage. I'd go that route only because it's a lot cheaper than buying high flow cats. As for now, I'd leave the cat in.
I agree.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:16 PM

No complaints with my orp. I did not notice ANY torque loss down low and i gained in the top end.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:08 PM

well I took off my cats when I installed my longtubes, but have since gone back to them, because the smell is 100 times better-especially if you have a cam/heads combo. I wouldn't remove it unless you are throwing on the longtubes, this will also make a bigger difference when you do the headers, since you'll be feeling more horses at once instead f a little at a time. The cats are cheap to buy, I got mine off e-bay for 50 bucks a pop and I don't have to worry about recieving a 5000 dollar fine. If you need the extra power, a cutout will be more benifical. I personally like the electric kind, since you can intimidate the driver next to ya at the light