LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Removing WP bolt, left side. how the hell?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 05:12 PM

Removing WP bolt, left side. how the hell?

I am in the process of removing my wp, I can get all the bolts off except the one which is in the middle (3 of each side this is the one which is in the middle of the top and bottom on on the left side) There is a pulley for something which is about an inch above it. I tries using extensions/ujoints, short and dep sockets. I can only get the short soccet on it but cannot get a wrench around it w/ out hitting the damn pulley. Do I have to remove the pulley?
Old 04-06-2006, 05:15 PM

Re: Removing WP bolt, left side. how the hell?

i believe that is the power steering pump you are talking about? its 3 bolts (10mm i think one at 12 oclock one at 3 and one at 6) to take that off, which you get at threw the holes in the pulley. Just take those off and you can move the pump to the side and take the last bolt off.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by MPB70350
i believe that is the power steering pump you are talking about? its 3 bolts (10mm i think one at 12 oclock one at 3 and one at 6) to take that off, which you get at threw the holes in the pulley. Just take those off and you can move the pump to the side and take the last bolt off.
Thanks a lot for the fast reply! the job continues...

Also, will there be a ****load of coolant which will come out once I get the pump off? I already drained the radiator and everything but should I be ready for another shower?

Is it best to just pry the pump off the block w/ a screw driver or something?
Old 04-06-2006, 05:24 PM

Funny thing, I am in the process of taking off my opti so I had to do what you are doing. For me, the way I got that bolt off is to use a short socket and an extension. First place the socket on the bolt, and then use a 3 inch extension. The extension should be small enough that it will fit beside the PS pump pulley and should be long enough that the wrench should clear the pulley. Hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by RedRyder518
Funny thing, I am in the process of taking off my opti so I had to do what you are doing. For me, the way I got that bolt off is to use a short socket and an extension. First place the socket on the bolt, and then use a 3 inch extension. The extension should be small enough that it will fit beside the PS pump pulley and should be long enough that the wrench should clear the pulley. Hope this helps.
I tried it w/ a 3 inch extentsion and it hits the pulley a little so It never goes on all the way...interesting
Old 04-06-2006, 05:36 PM

Do you have one of those 1 inch extensions? I bought a 9 piece set of knuckles and extensions and it came with like a 1 inch extension and a 3 inch. Now I think about it, I believe I used the 3 inch as well as the 1 inch.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:30 PM

Actually I did end up getting it w/ the 3inch extension, I just couldnt get it over the entire bolt but I guess it grabbed enough...thanks for the help
Old 04-06-2006, 07:00 PM

I've done the opti a few times now and I always just remove the TWO bolts holding the PS pump on. Mine only has two bolts, maybe others are different. You get them through the pulley. Makes life a LOT nicer too when you're getting the old gasket material off the block from the WP. And as I'm sure you've experienced now, yeah, some coolant will come out with the bottom WP bolts and when you remove it. Suck job if you ask me!
Old 04-06-2006, 07:06 PM

[QUOTE=Jazsun

Also, will there be a ****load of coolant which will come out once I get the pump off? I already drained the radiator and everything but should I be ready for another shower?
[/QUOTE]

You will still get a bath if you just drain the rad. You will never get all the coolant out of the system but you can minimize the amount of a bath you get by draining the block first. There is a plug on the driver side of the block and the knock sensor on the other side. Pull them out first and most of the coolant from the block will come out there. When you pull the pump you will only get what is left caught up in the pump housing.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Projectz28
You will still get a bath if you just drain the rad. You will never get all the coolant out of the system but you can minimize the amount of a bath you get by draining the block first. There is a plug on the driver side of the block and the knock sensor on the other side. Pull them out first and most of the coolant from the block will come out there. When you pull the pump you will only get what is left caught up in the pump housing.
Yeah I noticed most of the coolant came out when I took one of the bottom bolts out wasnt expecting that and it got me in the face! lol I managed to get the pump off so now I just need to scrap off the old gasket which looks to be a big pita. Is using a metal scraper ok? Or will I harm the metal? and tips? I suppose I could remove the PS as well, but that wont help for the other side.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:18 PM

Just use a metal scraper/razor/whizzer wheel to get the gaskets off. I've had my WP of three times in the last month. A tip on the bolt, use a shallow socket and 3 inch extension, and when the bolt is about 3/4 of the way out, remove the socket and extension and use your finger(s) to run it out the rest of the way. I always use gaskets with sealant on both sides to eliminate any chances of leaks. You don't want to have to take it off again, trust me.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by izzyz28
Just use a metal scraper/razor/whizzer wheel to get the gaskets off. I've had my WP of three times in the last month. A tip on the bolt, use a shallow socket and 3 inch extension, and when the bolt is about 3/4 of the way out, remove the socket and extension and use your finger(s) to run it out the rest of the way. I always use gaskets with sealant on both sides to eliminate any chances of leaks. You don't want to have to take it off again, trust me.

Thanks for the heads up. In the directions which came w/ the new pump I bought it said to put some sealant on the bolt threads. Anyone do this?

I took a break for today, work will continue tommrow. Hopefully it will run by saturday.

Last edited by Jazsun; 04-06-2006 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:05 PM

Thread sealant is recommended on the water pump bolts.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:53 PM

If you don't use sealant on the lower bolts, they will most likely leak.

And the best way I have found to get the middle bolt on the pass side out is with a short socket and a wobble head extension. The socket goes on tight, and the wobble head gives just enough lateral movement where it clears the pulley with no problem.

Thomas.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:58 AM

Not using sealant on the gaskets and bolts will cause a leak. The left side bolt thats semi under the PS pump. Use a 1/4" ratchet with a extension WITH a shorty socket. Back it out slowly. since this is the last bolt once you get where the socket cant be pulled out. Pull on the WP and it comes off. Ive done it 6 times, never an issue.

Since my motor is apart, when I put mine back on, I will just do the pump 1st, accessory bracket then PS pump.