LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Refreshing the valvetrain on high-mileaged LT1 question within...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 07:38 PM

Question Refreshing the valvetrain on high-mileaged LT1 question within...

I currently daily-drive my 110,000+ mile '95 Z28 and will continue to do so for the next 2-3 years...I bought the car back in October with a little under 109,000 on the clock and all it has done to it right now is a Moroso CAI, GMMG cat-back, & 3.73 gears (everything else is stock and always has been). So obviously, the motor is still original.

I'm planning on having the LT4 Hotcam w/ 1.6RR's in it by next summer (NOT going any further though!). I've heard about all of the higher-mileaged LT1's that have spun a cam bearing either do to a bad install or just not being able to take the added revs of the bigger bumpstick. I realize it's hit or miss, but that's not my question.

What I want to know is exactly what are all of the precautions I can take to cut the risk down dramatically of the motor going out on me? Besides new valvesprings, I'll put in a new pushrods, retainers, and a timing chain. Also, I think a new oil pump would probably be a good investment too. But is there anything else I can do without breaking the bank to help refresh the valvetrain?

Luckily though (knock on wood!), the car runs perfect and the motor feels fairly strong for that kind of mileage...But I'm dying to have a cammed 12-second daily-driver Camaro with a tired LT1 in it that most other cars wouldn't even give a second thought...

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-23-2005, 08:05 PM

Re: Refreshing the valvetrain on high-mileaged LT1 question within...

looks like you pretty much have it covered, btw 110,000 miles is not really high mileage for a lt1, mine has a little over 190,000 on it and the motor is all original.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:41 AM

Question Re: Refreshing the valvetrain on high-mileaged LT1 question within...

Any other thoughts?
Old 01-24-2005, 06:51 AM

Don't forget new valve stem seals while you're in there. Most spun bearings are due to too much trash getting in the engine during the install, or from over-revving the engine (higher mileage engines generally don't care for constant abuse above 6k rpm's).
Old 01-24-2005, 07:12 AM

take a little extra time to clean the valley and pan of any loose buildup, i've seen oil pump pickups pluged tight with carbon and oil sludge , after intake or cam installs.
alot of the buildup can fall through the oil return holes , it has to be removed
Old 01-24-2005, 08:39 AM

You'll definately need new lifters also.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:02 PM

Throw in new valve seals while you're in there.

Jason
Old 01-25-2005, 06:28 PM

Thumbs up Re: Refreshing the valvetrain on high-mileaged LT1 question within...

Thanks for the good info gentleman. That's definitely what I was looking for...

Mac headers and a couple other bolt-ons go on in a few weeks, then followed by some "make-up" work to it's appearance/body, next a rebuilt trans with a better stall, and lastly the refreshened motor with the LT4 Hotcam set-up. Should eventually make for a very fun street car that will easily run consistent 12's at the strip when I go...
Old 01-25-2005, 08:12 PM

Yes, keep things VERY clean as others have mentioned. That is the key. Also be extremely careful during camshaft removal and installation - it's during that time that it's EASIEST to screw up a bearing by being careless.

FWIW...i don't know your situation but if this car were to die on you (say bearing for example) and you were without it a few days/weeks would it matter? If the answer is yes perhaps consider leaving the camshaft alone for now ;-)
Old 01-25-2005, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by indieaz
Yes, keep things VERY clean as others have mentioned. That is the key. Also be extremely careful during camshaft removal and installation - it's during that time that it's EASIEST to screw up a bearing by being careless.

FWIW...i don't know your situation but if this car were to die on you (say bearing for example) and you were without it a few days/weeks would it matter? If the answer is yes perhaps consider leaving the camshaft alone for now ;-)
Good point made here. My personal bottom line is that I've waited to install a cam until recently. My car is paid off in a couple months and, if anything catastrophic happens to the motor I can get a loan against the car to get the engine rebuilt if it comes down to it.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by indieaz

Thanks for the tip man! Well to answer your question, no, it wouldn't kill me to be without the car for a week or two if the motor went out. I actually have an '02 Z28 that I could drive daily "if needed" although I'm VERY protective of this car (only a nice weather car that doesn't usually leave my sight). What would bother me though is the "cost" of the motor going out...I have NO plans to spend several thousand dollars on a nice 383/396 build-up like so many do once their motor blows...Maybe a cheap stock rebuild where it's needed, but that's it. So it's kinda like a double-edged sword I guess. However, that's why I want to "refreshen" the original stock motor as much as possible to make it as reliable as can be with the LT4 Hotcam set-up, 1.6 RR's, & maybe, just maybe ported stock heads. But I definitely won't open the motor up until I have a set amount of funds set aside for the car only. Shouldn't be too long though...

Last edited by 2000LS1Z28; 01-25-2005 at 10:36 PM.