LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Rebuild on the LT1 @ 105,500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:08 PM

Rebuild on the LT1 @ 105,500 miles

Well I have a 1993 Z28 Camaro, LT1...I was thinking about rebuilding it this fall/winter...Currently I have no performance mods other than a CAI...The main reason I want to do this is because I think that my car being a 93 and 105,000 miles on it, not everything will be reliable when I start to mod it...Another reason is when I start the car up, I believe a rod is knocking on the block, but only when I start it up, it will knock once...Is this a good idea or should I just run it till it dies, I dont really want to buy a new Camaro at this time...What are your opinions?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

M
Old 06-19-2007, 10:09 PM

My 93Z has 138,000 and still going strong.... Had to replace OPTI at 123,000, thats it.....
Old 06-19-2007, 10:16 PM

I'm almost 100% sure I read on here a guy that cammed his car @ 187,xxx miles. Hell 100,000 miles is just the break in point for these engines!
Old 06-19-2007, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by mcalus
Well I have a 1993 Z28 Camaro, LT1...I was thinking about rebuilding it this fall/winter...Currently I have no performance mods other than a CAI...The main reason I want to do this is because I think that my car being a 93 and 105,000 miles on it, not everything will be reliable when I start to mod it...Another reason is when I start the car up, I believe a rod is knocking on the block, but only when I start it up, it will knock once...Is this a good idea or should I just run it till it dies, I dont really want to buy a new Camaro at this time...What are your opinions?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

M
BTW...What mods should I do to it? How far should I go?

My opti has already been changed at 90k....and I didn't own the car at the time so I didn't get the bill
Old 06-19-2007, 10:32 PM

Well I have a really bad oil leak from the oil pan, and also a leak from the Timing chain cover...What about the knock what if it continues to while I am at an idle or driving?
Old 06-19-2007, 10:55 PM

If you can afford a rebuild at this time, then do it.... I have been researching and buying parts for 3 years now.... I'm not looking for a 400+hp motor , just a daily driver with alittle pep...
Old 06-19-2007, 11:10 PM

This summer I am gonna bank a bunch of money so when fall/winter comes I will have the money to do it? In your opinion what should I do? I am looking for something to be pretty sweet and fast but nothing that I cant drive everyday without worrying about gas every second I drive it...lol...What size cam? What about gears, what size? Timing chain? Some people say not to get Mellen (SP) oil pumps for LT1's is this true???

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2007, 07:56 AM

id recommend a shortblock or longblock from Golen engines or Victory engines, they have a good rep on this site and are very reasonably priced. they also will put down some good hp numbers and are very reliable.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:53 PM

BTW...What mods should I do to it? How far should I go?

My opti has already been changed at 90k....and I didn't own the car at the time so I didn't get the bill
I would just keep it at simple bolt-ons such as the cold air intake you already have, full exhaust, and a PCM tune.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
I would just keep it at simple bolt-ons such as the cold air intake you already have, full exhaust, and a PCM tune.
That would be point less IMO...I wouldn't gain that much HP...My oil leak that is pretty horrible, which is leaking all the way around the oil pan, timing chain cover, rear main, tons of spots, let alone the rod knock when I start it up...about that...
Old 06-21-2007, 02:27 PM

That would be point less IMO...I wouldn't gain that much HP...My oil leak that is pretty horrible, which is leaking all the way around the oil pan, timing chain cover, rear main, tons of spots, let alone the rod knock when I start it up...about that...
If you were going to leave the motor untouched, it wouldn't be that pointless. But if you are going to do a complete teardown, then the sky is the limit.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
If you were going to leave the motor untouched, it wouldn't be that pointless. But if you are going to do a complete teardown, then the sky is the limit.
No, I was planning on taking the motor out...Its not like the car will be driven in the winter, why not put some mods on it...How much HP would I be looking at if I did the following mods....

Mild Cam...not sure exact size
3.73 gears or 4.10's
1.6 rr's
maybe bigger injectors
TB bypass
Pulleys
New timing Chain
Airfoil
LT's with exhaust dumped at rear axle
Tune

What kind of HP would I be running???

Any other suggestions??
Old 06-21-2007, 03:42 PM

No, I was planning on taking the motor out...Its not like the car will be driven in the winter, why not put some mods on it...How much HP would I be looking at if I did the following mods....

3.73 gears or 4.10's
1.6 rr's
maybe bigger injectors
TB bypass
Pulleys
New timing Chain
Airfoil
Tune

Any other suggestions??
man, with all those mods in ur sig, you should have atleast 500rwhp right now
Old 06-21-2007, 03:52 PM

Are you sure you are hearing a rod knock? Sometimes when I start mine up it makes a knock, but I believe that it is a moment of detonation in the startup process, not a rod knocking.

I have a hard time believing your motor is shot, unless it has had the living hell ran out of it. LT1s leak. Ours are 14 years old.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:11 PM

3.73 gears or 4.10's
1.6 rr's
maybe bigger injectors
TB bypass
Pulleys
New timing Chain
Airfoil
Tune

Any other suggestions??
Depends on the cam and the supporting mods, but a cam only car can be anywhere in the 320-350rwhp range.

Quick Reply: Rebuild on the LT1 @ 105,500 miles