LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Rear end oil change, how?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 11:46 AM

Rear end oil change, how?

I have had my 4.10s in now for 500 miles and I believe I want to change out the dino oil and put in Mobil 1 75w 90.

Called Jiffy Lube and they said they do not remove cover, but use pump to remove oil.

Is this satisfactory? I understand that there will still be a little residual oil by doing it this way, but it's probably cheaper than having a garage pull the cover (and probably have to put on another gasket).

Doing it myself is not an option.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2003, 11:53 AM
Administrator

What type of posi unit do you have? If it is an Auburn, stay with a natural product.

The below quote of from a DAQ on AUburn's website:

"2.) What kind of oil should be used with an Auburn differential?

It is important when installing Auburn differentials that a high quality, non-synthetic 80w90 GL-5 oil, treated with GM or Ford limited-slip additive (also known as friction modifier) be used. Three ounces of additive will treat one quart of oil."
Old 07-17-2003, 12:38 PM

I have a Torsen. It came with my 97SS, filled with Quaker State Synthetic.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:40 PM

Re: Rear end oil change, how?

Originally posted by BUBBA
I have had my 4.10s in now for 500 miles and I believe I want to change out the dino oil and put in Mobil 1 75w 90.

Called Jiffy Lube and they said they do not remove cover, but use pump to remove oil.

Is this satisfactory? I understand that there will still be a little residual oil by doing it this way, but it's probably cheaper than having a garage pull the cover (and probably have to put on another gasket).

Doing it myself is not an option.

Thanks
well, on changing the oil, it would be best to take the cover off anyway to clean out any little shavings that the new gears may of had..

2nd, i dont like to use the gaskets, i've had 3 leak, so i just buy a TUBE of RTV, and use that instead of the gasket...
Old 07-17-2003, 12:44 PM

Why is doing it yourself not an option?
It is easy, and will save you some cake.
I used a gasket but I got some gasket shellac and put it on and bolted it back up and so far, NO leak. Yayy!
Old 07-17-2003, 02:36 PM

2nd, i dont like to use the gaskets, i've had 3 leak, so i just buy a TUBE of RTV, and use that instead of the gasket...
I always use the gasket and a little rtv and it never leaks? I really dont agree with the "gasket in a tube" since i am afraid it will break off and float around. I kinda thought that the gasket in a tube is harder to use anyways?
Old 07-17-2003, 02:46 PM
PGR

Re: Re: Rear end oil change, how?

Originally posted by SlowAssTA
well, on changing the oil, it would be best to take the cover off anyway to clean out any little shavings that the new gears may of had..

My '94 has a magnet bonded to the inside of the diff cover. Any metal shavings end up there, so its not a big concern. However, it's still a good idea to pull the cover, to inspect the gears and see how much metal shavings have built up on the magnet.

I use only RTV, no gasket. I've always had better luck this way, no leaks. BTW, Chrysler used only RTV on their valve covers for their 4 cylinder engines, applied by a robot.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:53 PM

What kind of RTV are you guys using?

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:08 PM

What kind of RTV are you guys using?

Thanks.
I've used the copper and the (hold your breath because it stinks so bad) Red RTV with good luck on the rear diff. I don't use a gasket.

Ryan
Old 07-17-2003, 03:47 PM

Yea I agree with taking the cover off. When I did mine, it was probably the first time. I also took brake cleaner (i think) and cleaned the whole inside of the pumpkin. You'll probably notice its pretty black. (mine kinda was). Then I replaced it with Synthetic. Only after that did I also read something about not using synthetic, but hey, its still fine. And I always use the blue rtv (or whatever) to reseal any diff change I do, it just seems easier. I was surprised however, at how little oil the rear end in the f-body holds.

Last edited by Black94mula; 07-17-2003 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:53 PM

Well "screw it". Thanks for your replys. I know I should take the cover off, but I'd rather pay someone to just pump it out (because all the quick lube places won't remove the cover).

Well my rear only has 8 grand on it and the gears only 500 miles, so hopefully pumping it out will be ok.

So even if GM did put a drain plug in it, that would still not be as complete as removing the cover.

Hopefully there won't be any shavings in there to booger up my gears.

Thanks again for the replys.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:10 PM

Well "screw it". Thanks for your replys. I know I should take the cover off, but I'd rather pay someone to just pump it out (because all the quick lube places won't remove the cover).

Well my rear only has 8 grand on it and the gears only 500 miles, so hopefully pumping it out will be ok.

So even if GM did put a drain plug in it, that would still not be as complete as removing the cover.

Hopefully there won't be any shavings in there to booger up my gears.

Thanks again for the replys.
You have a magnet in there to keep the metal shavings out of the oil. However, I like to drain it completely, then spray it out with some carb cleaner/brakedust cleaner. I would really recommend finding a place that can pull the cover and do the job correctly.

I would be extra careful about any pitstop/jiffylube place. They aren't exactly picky went it comes to employees around here.

Ryan