LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Rear end gears/differential- How hard to install for first timer?

Old 04-18-2003, 07:31 PM

Rear end gears/differential- How hard to install for first timer?

May need new gears and differential in rear end. Something a first timer can do or not? Anyone attempt this as a first timer? How'd it turn out?
Old 04-18-2003, 08:04 PM

I wouldn't suggest it. If it's not setup correctly it will fail alot quicker. These rears are too weak as it is.

Thanx
Joe
Old 04-18-2003, 08:08 PM
Banned

Re: Rear end gears/differential- How hard to install for first timer?

Originally posted by gamboa
May need new gears and differential in rear end. Something a first timer can do or not? Anyone attempt this as a first timer? How'd it turn out?
you need several special tools. this isn't a bolt on thing like headers or anything.
You have to check the back lash and stuff
I wouldn't try it for my first time alone
Old 04-18-2003, 08:31 PM

Not a do-it-yourself job for a rookie... or even an experienced home mechanic. Specialty tools required as well as considerable knowledge from what I've told.

Pay someone to do this one... even the best do-it-yourselfers that I know, don't touch rear-end gears.

-Michael
Old 04-18-2003, 09:48 PM

Unless you have a pinion depth gauge and know how to read a pattern check, I would have someone else do it. A lot of people get by with using the stock pinion shim without a problem but it isn't a sure thing. You also need an arbor press for the bearings and a companion flange holder. The pinion nut torque is very high and crushing the sleeve takes alot of torque. You sometimes have to pre-crush them in a press. If the gearset you get is a GM set, you will also need to check to see if it is a 5 cut (old) or 2 cut (new style) ring and pinion. This makes a difference on the pattern check. The last thing is checking the backlash, this is the easiest step if you get past the rest. Hope this helps.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:58 PM

I just did this today, not something I lke to do in the garage, PITA, a hoist makes all the differance. Part of my job is setting up gears, not something I would reccomend to a first timer. Pinnon deph and preload aren't easy to establish.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the info gents. Definitely won't be doing it on my own then.So when does one need new gears versus a new differential or a whole new rear end for that matter. I know very little about the rearends on our cars.