LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Rattles from jethot Longtubes

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 07:44 PM

Rattles from jethot Longtubes

Does anyone know any easy way to get rid of all the rattles with my jethots? It's only when im stopped or just start accelerating, and most of the rattling goes away if i put the car in neutral when im at a stop. If the only way to get rid of them is to put in poly motor mounts, how hard are they to change out?
Old 11-18-2003, 09:52 PM

Depends on where yours are touching, new motor mounts might help even just regular rubber ones, mine rubs on the passenger side, one tube is really close to the k member, i'v heard about grinding it some but dont want to do that, plus it'll be hard with it that close, where exactly do yours touch.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:56 PM

Ive got that problem with my mac's. It looks to be touching at the k-member as well.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:08 PM

put some headshield thing where it touches... it should stop the metal to metal contact
Old 11-19-2003, 08:45 AM

I was thinking about doing that, but arent most sizes for plug wires and small hoses? where should i pick up some that size?
Old 11-19-2003, 09:29 AM

How many people have issues with the jet-hots rattling?

I just bought them and never heared of this problem!

anyone else?
Old 11-19-2003, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by MonoxideChild
How many people have issues with the jet-hots rattling?

I just bought them and never heared of this problem!

anyone else?
I just installed a set of Jet-Hot LTs on my '96 T/A (94k with original motor mounts) and the closest they get, at any point, to the k-member is 3/4 of an inch. The collectors are approximately 1.25 of an inch from the floor pan. They fit beautifully! I'll snap some pics for those interested.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:59 AM

Mine were rattling because I dropped a socket and header bolt down into the passenger side collector - Put an end to that
Old 11-19-2003, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by BitCypher
I just installed a set of Jet-Hot LTs on my '96 T/A (94k with original motor mounts) and the closest they get, at any point, to the k-member is 3/4 of an inch. The collectors are approximately 1.25 of an inch from the floor pan. They fit beautifully! I'll snap some pics for those interested.
I would like some pics, I just ordered my Jet Hot's today. Thanks!!!
Old 11-19-2003, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by Red96Lt1
I would like some pics, I just ordered my Jet Hot's today. Thanks!!!
I'll take some tonight when I get home and reply to this topic with a link.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:26 AM

I had a problem with mine rubbing on the passenger side.

I just jacked the car up and placed a few wooden blocks under the transmission to support he engine while i lowered it a little (about two inches) with the jack.

I then took a die grinder and knocked the part of the k member that was rubbing down a little.
You don't have to go crazy you can easily take about a 1/4 inch out where the K member makes the curve down on the back side.
Mine started out being a little noise but slowly got worse.

Safety note, metal shaving fly everywhere when doing this don't forget the goggles. If you have ever had metal in your eye you know what I mean.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:04 AM

My car is in the shop having Jet Hot headers installed as I write this. The passenger side header wouldn't install because it was hitting the K-frame. So they cut off 1/2 " & welded a reinforcment piece for strength over the hole. Now there is about .060 clearance. My motor mounts have only 6000 miles on them. This shows that "somebodys" production standards are way off !
Old 11-19-2003, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by T/A#4
My car is in the shop having Jet Hot headers installed as I write this. The passenger side header wouldn't install because it was hitting the K-frame. So they cut off 1/2 " & welded a reinforcment piece for strength over the hole. Now there is about .060 clearance. My motor mounts have only 6000 miles on them. This shows that "somebodys" production standards are way off !
yikes! Man, I hope I don't have any of these issues. I have 138K miles on my car. :/

mac headers fit like a champ when those were installed. no rattles. Also, it burnt a #5 wire.

getting heat sleeves for my new wires. ;P
Old 11-19-2003, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by BitCypher
PICS PICS PICS!!!

dmgov@nospam.com

nospam.com = netzero.com
Old 11-19-2003, 04:27 PM

my driver side collector is practically touching the floorboard. Brand New ES Motor mounts.

Quick Reply: Rattles from jethot Longtubes