LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Ram Air or CAI?? Whats Better?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 03:13 PM

Ram Air or CAI?? Whats Better?

I'm sure this has been discused befor, but in my searches I couldnt find anything that I wanted to know.
I have a 96 SS wiht the ram air hood, my same as from factory paper filter is getting pretty bad, time for something new.
Iwas looking at the SLP CAI kit, and it looks real nice, but then I lose my ram air, and that got me wondering whats better (more power) ram air or a CAI?

Also, if the ram air is better whats a good filter for it? thanks.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:00 PM

No one is going to have a definite answer for you.Its hard to test a ram air on the dyno.My opinion is the ram air gives you better throttle response.Especially at higher speeds.Do what I did and put a K&N filter and leave it ram air.Cant tell you the number...do a search for it as I am sure I have seen it on here.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:34 PM

This Site says not to use a K&N cause it lets some stuff pass though, anyone have any thoughts on that?
Old 05-02-2003, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by joeSS97
No one is going to have a definite answer for you.Its hard to test a ram air on the dyno.My opinion is the ram air gives you better throttle response.Especially at higher speeds.Do what I did and put a K&N filter and leave it ram air.Cant tell you the number...do a search for it as I am sure I have seen it on here.
Doesn your K & N air filter collapse, I had one for the longest time, and every time I popped the hood the freaking K&N air filter was all bent up...and its not like the air box wasn't lined up...I bought a Holley Power shot filter...instead of the pleats going left and right, they go up and down...and it fits better and is not as flimsy as the K&N...
just my 2 cents worth on that...

and I would just stay with the ram air, its basically the same as the CAI setup, the purpose is being served either way as it is pulling air directly from the outside of the engine compartment.....FYI:96-97SS's have a actual functional hood scoop, as in the air gets pressurized as it is a direct entry into the air box...IMHO but correct me if I am wrong
Old 05-02-2003, 04:36 PM

I switched my K&N for a Holley Power Shot.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:06 PM

Here's a good piece on the subject.
Ram Air Myth
Old 05-02-2003, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by Pandamonkey
Ram Air Myth
damn thats a good read, what does it make me that I understood most of it, and it makes sence

still need a new filter, so where would I get this holley powershot filter from for a good price?
Old 05-02-2003, 05:34 PM

part# HLY-221-5

here is a direct link to summitracing.com

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...earchtype=both
Old 05-02-2003, 05:42 PM

My filter has never collapsed.I believe the big reason not to use it was leakage around the seal.Which i always look and it is clean as could be under the seal.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:48 PM

Smile

from stuff ive seen and people ive talked to. One being a friend of mine who everytime he changes his oil sends some out to be analyzed. He used to run a K&N in his ram air and the silicone levels in the oil were high, he then went back to a papaer filter and the silicone disappeared. I have heard that there is maybe a 1-2 hp gain over paper filter, so alot of people went back to papaer filters. Plus if you wanted to go to a reg K&N in fender well cold air i have one id hgladly get rid of in exchange someway for your ss airbox. Aklways gotta try .
Old 05-02-2003, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by Pandamonkey
Ram Air Myth
So, what they are really saying is all the people who bought SS and WS6 wasted their money when they could have had a Z28 or T/A for less and just installed the much more efficient and proven CAI.

I knew my Z28 was better than any ol' SS!

(...and I'm just kidding guys, don't get mad...)

Anyways, my understanding is that a CAI offers the same HP increase as a Ram Air hood. The biggest benefit of a CAI is the cost savings in my opinion(<$200 vs $1000<). With Ram Air, there is always the WOW factor. I think the choice of which is mostly dependant on whether you want to change the look of your car or not.

E

Last edited by Ernster500; 05-02-2003 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-03-2003, 03:44 PM

OK.. well I could talk about this till I'm blue in the face.. but from all the articles and dicussions that have gone on on this board here is the breakdown.

A SS RamAir (RA) is a joke, with the heatsoak from sitting ontop of the intake manifold and the 3 90* bends that it has to make to get into the intake manifold. A CAI (from what I have been told) WILL outperform a Factory SS RA setup.

The CAI's are nice and will flow very well, better than the SS RA intake (Basic Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer will define it if you really want me to get into it... )

The WS6 RA intake setup is an entirely different animal than the SS, and in all honesty should and I personally can't see how it wouldn't outperfom either a CAI or SS RA. Hell, on my car with the removed Rain Baffle, if I take my K&N out, I can SEE DIRECTLY INTO THE INTAKE! Hell, my intake track from the outside is about 8-10" long, to the intake, with no bends; can't get much of a better setup.