LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

quick exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 03:16 PM

quick exhaust question

Does replacing the stock muffler with an aftermarket one really change anything besides the sound? I am thinking about buying just the 2otl rear section and mating it up to the stock i pipe. Is this a good or bad idea and would it be very hard to do since the slp is 3 in and stock size is 2 3/4 in? The reason I ask is because there is a rear section for sale on ebay and is in really nice shape. I want the 2otl preferablly but dont want to spend that much on a new one. So what it comes down to is would i be wasting my time and money by not buying a whole catback first? Also is it possibly to just buy a 3 in i pipe from someplace? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:07 PM

Re: quick exhaust question

I've never saw a 3inch I pipe for sale by its self, unless you get lucky and some how find one in the forsale section. About the pipe being different sizes, you could have an exhaust shop do it, and they could use a reducer, backwards. If you plan on modding the car more in the future, and bigger I pipe might be a good idea. You would probably see more gains with a full catback instead of just a rear section, if not why would people make money selling the whole system? If your going to buy a whole catback in the future, in my opinion, you should just save your money until you can afford one. If you cant wait to have a loud car and a little extra power, buy a $30 cut out and have a shop throw it in your I pipe somewhere.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:20 PM

I agree to save and get the whole system. I would think it would be very difficult to just find what you needed later to complete the cat-back and would probably end up rebuying the pieces you already have.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:36 PM

Just spring for the whole system. Magnaflow and Hooker are under 300 bucks. Magnaflow is stainless, also. I played with the idea of keeping the i-pipe w/ an after market muffler, but bit the bullet and got a catback. You won't regret it.