LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Questions About HAL Shocks/Springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 06:57 PM
Banned

Questions About HAL Shocks/Springs

To all those that have the HAL shocks/springs:

1. What mileage did you switch to them and what shocks/springs did you have on there before?

2. If you had stock on before, what was ground clearance like before and after? Cause right now i have less than a popcan clearance at the header flanges and other people with the same headers and tire/wheel size have tons more.

3. Do the shocks handle pretty well? I assume better than stock. this being with the springs that HAL supplies in the kit up front and stock springs out back.

4. How are the extremes of each position? like all the shocks on 1 or all on 12? Where do you find that you keep them for street driving? And what do you put them on at the strip?

5. What is the warranty/expected life out of these?

6. Lastly, do you think they are worth 700 bucks?

i really need to gain some ground clearance back and if i can get decent shocks also!

Thanks a ton!
Old 06-21-2003, 08:53 PM

I've had them on the car for about 10,000 miles or so. I have no idea how long they will last. My ride height is slightly lower than the stockers, but that can be adjusted to your taste. I haven't really fiddled with that too much. The front springs are way softer than stock. Sometimes a little too soft as I drive through sudden dips in the highway(jersey higways are not perfectly flat) I'll have some scraping on either the y-pipe or the wheels on the inner fender. These shocks on the 1 setting is super soft, like a drag shock. If I push down on the front, I could almost make the car bounce like it had hydraulics . I haven't tried the hardest setting. The highest I've had it was on the 7th setting. Not bad but a little stiff. I usually run a 6 setting all around. The rears become too unbearable if the setting is too high with the stock springs, way too bouncy. All in all, I like them but would probably get something else if I had to do it again. Hope this helps.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:39 AM
Banned

How much is the ride height adjustable, and would they handle well with the eibach springs on them?
Old 06-22-2003, 10:53 AM

I have the Eibach prokit with them.
You can raise the height pretty easy if you put a lot of the anti seize on the shock adj rings. I adjusted mine probably 4 times to get the height right where I wanted it
I did have a problem with one of the shock adj's locking up. A friend of mine had one blow a seal but he runs 10's. This happened on both our cars when the shocks were brand new

I like them a lot. I have removed my sway bar and with the fronts set on 8 the car handles well.
I keep the backs on about 4/5.
I haven't noticed any improvement yet at the track with nittos but I just bought ET Streets.
I'm guessing that I'm losing a lot of their advantage by having the Eibachs. But they might be making up for some of the eibach
problems too as far as weight transfer goes.

I think the adj feature is great if you want a car that handles and goes to the track
Old 06-22-2003, 11:02 AM

The fronts have threads that run along the whole strut, so I would say you can put it anywhere you want. I don't know how well the fronts would ride with a different spring. I know someone on this board has done it, maybe he can chime in. You can use other springs also, even eibachs, but you'll need something from the stock struts that will help the springs sit right. The instructions say exactly what it is, I can't remember.
Old 06-22-2003, 03:33 PM
Banned

How do you like the shocks with the pro kit? i heard it rides like a pickup truck?

let me know
Old 06-22-2003, 04:22 PM

I like them with the prokit