LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Question about the optical wheel inside the OPTI

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 10:47 PM

Question about the optical wheel inside the OPTI

I am wondering if anyone knows what the clearance is supposed to be inbetween the optical sensor and the thin wheel that spins around inside the opti. Mine is kinda close to one side and I am wondering if the wheel is supposed to be centered inbetween the black optical sensor or not.

My concern is that I believe that I am getting erratic readings from the opti which is causing my car to pop/backfire and misfire while being revved. Is there any other way to test the signals that the opti sends to the ICM?

TIA
Old 03-26-2006, 06:43 AM

Re: Question about the optical wheel inside the OPTI

There are ECM trouble-codes for the high-resolution and low-resolution signals from the Opti-Spark.
Have you scanned the ECM for trouble-codes?

Tom Piper
Old 03-26-2006, 06:53 AM

Yes I have and I am the ECM is throwing no codes what so ever. Is there any other way to test the optical secton of the opti?
Old 03-26-2006, 07:25 AM

If either of the signals were dropping out, you would get a code. You can test the signals with a multimeter set to DC and measure from the pink/black wire to first the red/black and then the purple/white wire. You can get to them at the connector about 2 or 3 feet from the opti. As you rotate the engine by hand slowly, you will see the signal vary between near 0 volts DC and 5 volts DC.

However, since it seems that your problem is intermittent and you DO NOT have codes, you won't find anything wrong with that test.

Being around this website for some time now, it is common to see folks with plug wire issues. Why don't you look for the misfire with an inductive timing light. You should be able to see the mis in the flash pattern. You should also see what you can find in the dark with the hood up.

It would also be a good idea to let folks know everything about the vehicle. Any work that was done especially before the problem showed up and it wouldn't hurt to put your location with your by-line
Old 03-26-2006, 09:21 AM

If your not pulling a low or high res pulse code and you wires are not crossed then its your cap that is causing you to missfire. Try the cap from MSD. Its a much better unit.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:45 AM

I actually have a delteq setup on the car with an MSD-DIS 4 ignition system. There is really too much to list about the car. I didn't post that in the first place because I didn't want everyone to get off topic about my orginal question on the clearance issue with the opti wheel.

I think you guys are def right about the whole should be throwing a code thing if the signals were screwed up! Only other thing that I have replaced were the plugs. I am thinking that maybe one of the plugs are bad. Anyone know if its possible to just get a bad plug? I mean I guess anything is possible just wondering though
Old 03-26-2006, 11:52 AM

Which coil packs are you using? Are they used? I have seen several ICMs from waste spark systems that were defective and caused the engine to run very badly.

As far as the low and hi res feedback signals are concerned. Correct me if I'm mistaken but don't they go into the Delteg unit and then to the PCM?

Last edited by Guest47904; 03-26-2006 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by speedygonzales
Which coil packs are you using? Are they used? I have seen several ICMs from waste spark systems that were defective and caused the engine to run very badly.

As far as the low and hi res feedback signals are concerned. Correct me if I'm mistaken but don't they go into the Delteg unit and then to the PCM?
I am running the msd blaster coils with this setup

Also its to my understanding that the opti sends the signals to the ECM which then controls the EST module which then tells the delteq when to fire.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:40 PM

OK a couple of more changes. The car is only popping/cutting out at high RPMS now. Also I checked the ECM values via datamaster and my left bank BLM's are pegged to 108 while the right bank BLM's are pegged at 160.. So in other words, the left bank is running lean while the right bank is running rich. I am thinking that I have got to be getting some kinda funny readings from the opti but I am just wondering why the ECM is not setting any codes?

Any ideas?

Last edited by InEviTableSS; 03-26-2006 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by InEviTableSS
I...Also its to my understanding that the opti sends the signals to the ECM which then controls the EST module which then tells the delteq when to fire.
You are correct.
At this time, for the Delteq, the Opti-Spark signals pass directly through the Delteq "Opti-Box" to the ECM without being modified by the Delteq.
The reason this was done was so Delteq could change the system, in the future, to "tweak" the Opti-Signals the ECM sees. That way, the connectors and pin-out on the Delteq "Opti-box" would still be the same and the new Delteq "Opti-box" would be a direct plug-in for those who already have the Delteq installed.

Tom Piper