LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Putting Keyless entry into a no power anything car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 08:24 PM

Putting Keyless entry into a no power anything car?

Well, I found a car, its too nice to pass up. Just PERFECT.
but nothing is power.

How hard it is to give it power doorlocks and windows?

(with the fact taht I have my 96SS power everything to strip parts from)

Can I give it power locks, windows and the keyless entry pretty easy?

Also, was it possible to order a 96Z28 without the auto headlights?
It was a factory order, no fogs, no power, has the bose, and the tilit wheel, other wise it was ordered without everything it could.
anything else that should be there that wouldnt?
Old 01-17-2004, 08:44 PM

If you have the material to rob from another car - I'd say the wiring will be fairly simple - plug and play really........you can even use the door panels out of the donor car becuase otherwise you'll have holes where the handles used to be.
Also, was it possible to order a 96Z28 without the auto headlights?
What are auto headlights?
I though all auto's had headlights.........

How is it that you have a donor car to rob from?
Did you wreck your 96?

Tell us a bit more about the new car........what year is it?
Old 01-17-2004, 08:47 PM

It is possible to do all of the things you want. Search for topics on adding power windows (lots of folks adding and removing them). Last time I checked it seemed the consensus was that the stock motors for windows were kind of cheesey and you might be better off with third party motors (actuators seemed to be fine). PDL should not be much harder. I don't know about the factory Remote keyless, but the aftermarket packages are pretty straight forward if you have PDL. If you have the needed parts, time and the inclination I think it would be fun
Old 01-17-2004, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by Pandamonkey
If you have the material to rob from another car - I'd say the wiring will be fairly simple - plug and play really........you can even use the door panels out of the donor car becuase otherwise you'll have holes where the handles used to be.

What are auto headlights?
I though all auto's had headlights.........

How is it that you have a donor car to rob from?
Did you wreck your 96?

Tell us a bit more about the new car........what year is it?
auto headlight..... when it gets dark the lights come on, my 96SS had it anyways??

Donor car is my 96 SS, it was writen off, and I bought it back. (if you want parts search for sale)

the new car, its a 96 SS, M6, white, factory ordered with everything that can be taken off, taken off, no leather, no power anything, only options it has are AC, tilt stearing wheel, and the bose system.
best part, only 15000 miles on it.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by Xride
auto headlight..... when it gets dark the lights come on, my 96SS had it anyways??

Donor car is my 96 SS, it was writen off, and I bought it back. (if you want parts search for sale)

the new car, its a 96 SS, M6, white, factory ordered with everything that can be taken off, taken off, no leather, no power anything, only options it has are AC, tilt stearing wheel, and the bose system.
The only 96's that have auto headlights are export models (aka Canada)

Are you sure the car isn't a 1LE?
Old 01-17-2004, 09:39 PM

If you have the 96 SS and it is totalled, why not buy a high mileage white 94 - 97 V6 car for cheap and transfer all the SS stuff onto it, including rear axle, trans, engine, interior..... It wont really be an SS any more, but what difference should it make to you. I would do it in a heartneat! I bet I could have everything transferred from the SS to the V6 in a week and not have a car loan to deal with. Transfer the entire driveline, K-Member included, if it is not damaged.

here is a chance to get your car back cheap. Check this one out, I bet you could get it for $3,000 bucks. This car, and a few other small parts (maybe a hood or new rim or two) and you are on your way. If you are creative, you could even transfer the vin number, and keep it a true SS. "if you are creative"

It is perfectly legal. Exotics are rebuilt regularily from nothing but a stamped frame member and a title. My uncle has a 1962 Ferrari GTO that was rebuilt like that from a complete wreck. Your car cold be as good as new.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...TE&cardist=995

Last edited by TraceZ; 01-17-2004 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:56 PM

TABAHR's idea sounds great. I'd do it too if I were in that situation.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by 88irocz28
TABAHR's idea sounds great. I'd do it too if I were in that situation.
I dont owe on the car, I thought of doing that, but its more hasel then I want, suspension, brakes, the SS hood and spoiler (both trashed off my old one), the fact that I would need little things here and there, nickel and dime myself to death. my SS has a sheared axel too, so that another part (have yet to see if the diff is busted up)
And have you heard the rattles and creaks from a high milage Fbody? something I dont want, thats for sure.

So how is Canada an export when its made in Canada? how would I transfer the auto headlights then too? as its a great little feature.

The making a v6 a V8 was just something I didnt want, I'm in school, so the sooner I have a car that works, and is going to continue to work without more then fuel and oil changes. Thought about it, and even looked at a few, but figured I would hardly be ahead by the time it was over, still cam out 2k up all said and done as it is, even with buying the new one, and buying my salvage.

Well looks like I'll have to search a bit more on how hard hte keyless and stuff is to add.

How do I tell if its a 1LE?
Old 01-18-2004, 10:03 AM

How do I tell if its a 1LE?
Look at the option code sticker in the glove box