LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Pushrods Too Short Now

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 03:51 PM

Angry Pushrods Too Short Now

Ok I had 7.2" pushrods, but those were too long since my heads have been milled and my block was decked so I bought a pushrod length checker and checked them a half a dozen times to make sure the length was right and ordered a new set of 6.95" pushrods. Well last night I installed them and set the preload but they were noisey so today I pulled the valve covers off again and tried to tighten them a little more and the rocker bottoms out on the stud. I must have measured them wrong, but I followed the directions on this LINK and everything seemed fine but they have to be too short.

I obviously don't know what I'm doing and have absolutely had it with this car and am really close to setting the thing on fire and collecting the insurance money and buying one thats done.

Anyone have a different way to check for the correct length pushrods? Nothing is wrong with the other valvetrain parts, they are all new and only have 50 miles on them right now.

But if someone can explain how to check for the right length so I can spend even more money on this money pit I'd appreciate it.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:50 PM

iirc there are like 3 different measurements you can come up with. check comp cams site and look at the way they show. then order them again using the correct measurement. that sucks they were too short. if 7.15" is what you need let me know if youre interested. they had less than 600 miles on them before i blew my motor. no damage to them though. good luck
Old 06-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Banned

Read this:http://www.mid-lift.com/INTRO-ML-BKGRND.htm
Old 06-02-2007, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by 1racerdude
HAHA wow, I'm even more confused now. I really don't understand the whole Mid-Lift thing, but I'm still reading it. Very interesting and thanks for the link

About Comps website, I can't find anything about how to check for proper length.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:59 AM

Anyone else have any other suggestions for how to get the correct length pushrods? I used the first link and I obviously didn't do something right and I need to know what I did wrong. I really don't want to keep ordering pushrods until I find the right ones. I'm seriously considering taking the car to the guy that did my machining on the motor and have him measure and install the correct pushrods, but it will probably cost me more than $500 to have him do that. So I'd rather learn how to do it right myself.

Sorry for the rambling, but I'm just looking for some answers
Old 06-05-2007, 08:14 AM

That's why when it comes to certain things, I let a professional do it. Sad to say, I know. But when you have a decent amount of money tied up in it and you want it to be right, sometimes you have to bite the bullet, pony up some more money, and let a pro do it. Paid off in my case, and I too, wound up getting some shorter pushrods. Plus the lifters where set correctly, not how I had them when I dropped the car off.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by turnin20s
Anyone else have any other suggestions for how to get the correct length pushrods? I used the first link and I obviously didn't do something right and I need to know what I did wrong. I really don't want to keep ordering pushrods until I find the right ones. I'm seriously considering taking the car to the guy that did my machining on the motor and have him measure and install the correct pushrods, but it will probably cost me more than $500 to have him do that. So I'd rather learn how to do it right myself.

Sorry for the rambling, but I'm just looking for some answers
Don't get discouraged,keep playing with it until ya get it right. Got to learn sometime.Go here and look.
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...56#post4643056

Last edited by 1racerdude; 06-05-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
That's why when it comes to certain things, I let a professional do it. Sad to say, I know. But when you have a decent amount of money tied up in it and you want it to be right, sometimes you have to bite the bullet, pony up some more money, and let a pro do it. Paid off in my case, and I too, wound up getting some shorter pushrods. Plus the lifters where set correctly, not how I had them when I dropped the car off.
The only problem I have with that is my engine builder is about 60 miles away and my car is not running at this time so I would have to trailer it there, which really isn't that big of a deal. But the cost factor is where I really can't do it at this time, I know it will be rather expensive. How much did it cost you to have your car done? I know I can do it myself, but I'm just so irrated (SP) right now and I thought I did everything right but it turns out that I didn't. I already have 2 sets of pushrods at $90 a set and I really can't afford to keep doing it like this. I'm going to try to talk to a few guys in my area and see if they can help me out, I know my buddy had to measure his pushrods for his solid roller motor so mabye I'll have him come over and help me out before I end up having to drop the cash.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:00 PM

First time to adj. the rockers was like $200 or $250. Next time was free when it was determined that the springs needed to be replaced with (918s) and that a set of 7.150 pushrods were in order. Can't complain, it runs pretty damn good for such a small cam.