LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Pulling my motor out the top of the bay tonight, any last minute tips/opinions/advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 03:00 PM

Pulling my motor out the top of the bay tonight, any last minute tips/opinions/advice

I've been slowly getting my motor ready for removal since I've had some free time lately. I finally have it done and tonight is the night. I have an engine hoist with a load leveler and an engine stand. I have taken the heads/intake/water pump off so I'm pretty much down to a bare block on the top half. Here's what I've disconnected- entire engine and trans harness and laid it out of the way, unbolted A/C compressor and left the lines hooked up, power steering pump and removed accessory bracket, battery cable to starter, ground cable, transmission cooler lines, trans and engine dipsticks, driveshaft, and torque arm. Am I missing anything?

I'm going to take off the hood I guess, unless someone chimes in and says that doesn't make it too much easier. I'm going to make a trip to the hardware store and get some trans bellhousing to engine block bolts because I'll need one for use with the chain and engine hoist and I'll probably need 4 more for the engine stand. For the front attachment point for the hoist I'm going to use one of the waterpump mounting bolts, looks like I'll need to get a bolt that is a hair shorter and some washers to make sure the chains don't pop off of the bolts.

If you guys have any advice let me have it!

Edit: will I need to raise the front of the car up any? I've seen a few pictures where people put the front of their car on jackstands when pulling the motor.....

Last edited by FastZinTennessee; 01-07-2005 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:05 PM

Re: Pulling my motor out the top of the bay tonight, any last minute tips/opinions/advice

I took my hood off when I did it, made it easier to work with.

Sounds like you've got about everything removed, but you might wanna remove the radiator and shroud for a little more room
Old 01-07-2005, 03:10 PM

Re: Pulling my motor out the top of the bay tonight, any last minute tips/opinions/advice

Leave the hood on, i had no trouble widh it on last time...
About jackstands, had the front up a bit last time but that was only beacuse i pulled the tranny first and i didnt bother to let it down.
I dont think it had been any trouble to have the car on wheels eighter.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:11 PM

Re: Pulling my motor out the top of the bay tonight, any last minute tips/opinions/ad

Thanks for the help, I forgot to add, the radiator and shroud is out of the way. Only thing left is the A/C condensor but I don't think it will be a factory.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:12 PM

I'm pretty sure that if you just unbolt the hood shocks, you can put the hood almost vertical. That way you dont need to remove it and then spend time re-aligning it when you put it back on.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:55 PM

Re: Pulling my motor out the top of the bay tonight, any last minute tips/opinions/ad

Well crap. I was loosening the motor mount nuts and getting the garage cleaned up while I am waiting for my buddy to bring over the engine hoist and decided to spin the engine over by hand and have a look at the bores. It's easy to see which cylinder was getting coolant in because it was clean and shiny compared to the others. Well upon closer inspection it looks like the block is cracked right below the wear ridge on that cylinder I'll get a closer look when the motor is out but unless it's some real funky looking corrosion it sure looks like a crack to me.

If this is as bad as it looks I guess I'll be looking for another block.........