LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Puddle of water on passenger floor board

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 03:01 AM

Puddle of water on passenger floor board

Today i found a huge puddle of water on the passenger floor board. I think its not coolant, i smelled it and it smells like regular water. It seems to be coming from something under the glove box. Theres like some metal piece in the middle of the passenger floor board and real close to the firewall. It almost seems like condensation forming or something. What the hell could this be?
Old 03-28-2004, 03:06 AM

Unless it rained and the roof leaked, I can't think of what else it could be. Pull the under dash panel and see if the under side of the heater box is wet. I was pretty sure these cars expell leaking coolant through the a/c water vent line, but I could be wrong. How much is a lot? Quart...Gallon...?
Old 03-28-2004, 03:14 AM

I'm not sure how much exactly there was, but I used a whole roll of paper towel to dry it up, and the carpet is still wet. What is the heater box? Is it the metal box right in the middle? If so, then yes, that is what is wet.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:18 AM

Cool

Sounds like you might have a leaking heater core. The heater box is plastic to my knowledge. It pretty much dominates the passenger side of the car under the dash.

Pull the side molding and lift the carpet. the padding under it will hold water forever and stink up your car. Fold up some towels and put them under the carpet to dry it out.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:14 AM

Re: Puddle of water on passenger floor board

Originally posted by JJ's95B4C
Today i found a huge puddle of water on the passenger floor board. I think its not coolant, i smelled it and it smells like regular water. It seems to be coming from something under the glove box. Theres like some metal piece in the middle of the passenger floor board and real close to the firewall. It almost seems like condensation forming or something. What the hell could this be?
FIND THIS ASAP or your car will stink forever ...My Cavy did this , and there was a whole right below the winsheild . Water was POURING in and the smell never went away . You may want to check your window seal . If it has a leak this will happen .
Old 03-28-2004, 06:56 AM

First thing you need to do is positively identify wether or not it is coolant. If its coolant then its from your heater core. If its plain water then it most likely came from one of 2 places. Did it recently rain? a leak on a t-top seal, door seal or even a winsheild can run down the pillar and sit on the floor. Did you have your air conditioning on? If the drain for the a/c is plugged up then all the moisture will back up inside heater box and leak inside the car. Clear the drain tube and your problem will be solved.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by Projectz28
First thing you need to do is positively identify wether or not it is coolant. If its coolant then its from your heater core. If its plain water then it most likely came from one of 2 places. Did it recently rain? a leak on a t-top seal, door seal or even a winsheild can run down the pillar and sit on the floor. Did you have your air conditioning on? If the drain for the a/c is plugged up then all the moisture will back up inside heater box and leak inside the car. Clear the drain tube and your problem will be solved.
I don't have T-tops. Its definately not any seals on the window. It is not coolant...i'm 100% on this. I pulled the cover today and watched it, and it is condensation from the A/C somewhere. I don't know what it is, or where its coming from. How do I clear the drain for the a/c? Is there a "how-to" for that as i'm pretty sure that is my problem.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:06 PM

mine done the same thing , but it was too late the carpet had gotten wet ( must have been going on for sometime ) and it had rusted a hole in the floor, but anyway it was from the a/c ( condensation) the seal around the heater coar to the fire wall was bad, I removed the cover to it ( behind the glove box) and used some silacone to reseal it ( I think it was caused from my headers radiant heat that made the seal go bad, it was doing it under the hood too) have not had any more problems from it since, hope this helps ya
Old 03-28-2004, 04:55 PM

That might be the problem. I know its condensation. Checking it for the last hour, with the a/c off it still produces a small amount of condensation. How is the seal supposed to be so i can fix it?

Also, can anyone elaborate on how to unplug the drain for the a/c?

Thanks
Old 01-16-2012, 08:03 AM

Good Morning, I know this thread is from an old post, however, the A/C in my car does not work and it's winter. There's been water for the last week.. It's water.. not coolant... any idea how to fix it? This getting the carpet cleaner out to dry it is getting old....
Thanks
Old 01-16-2012, 11:43 AM

OK, so here's my method to test if it's coolant or not: I taste it. It's the only way to know for sure. Yeah, antifreeze is toxic, but you're not drinking it. Just a drop will do. And don't swallow it. Coolant tastes sickly sweet. Had a leaky core once. Looked like water, smelled like water, because I only used about 10% antifreeze. Tasted like coolant though.

Yeah, I know. Not the brightest solution, but it works.

If your AC drain is plugged, that'll do it as well. There's a pic of it on shoebox. I've blown mine out with a mild, short shot of compressed air before, and it cleared it.