Problems/oil pump, maybe REBUILD

94 Z28, 5.7L (112,000 miles)

Things that have gone bad RECENTLY and now fixed:

* A/C pumped locked up....now have a bypass pulley
* Changed Dist Ignition, coil, wires, plugs
* Changed Water pump gasket
* Have a performance alternator
* Pwr Steering pump, pulley is wobbley...new one on the way
* FINALLY....fixed my Fuel problem.... Racetronix Pump/Wiring Harness kit (kit is Awesome!!!) And Aeromotive Regulator (very very easy adjusting!!!)

After fixing my fuel problem yesterday, and my car now has FUEL/Pwr, my stupid oil gauge read 20 psi @ idle for a minute or two, and then NOTHING. When @ idle and at 0 psi, it sometimes RAISES to around 20 when i give it gas, sometimes it doesn't.....

I'm gonna start by changing the Oil Pressure Sensor first and HOPEFULLY it fixes the problem......

If not, i'm aware of what i have ahead of me, but if i have to change the pump, i'm just going to go ahead and rebuild the engine since i'm TIRED of problems.....

* I have the STOCK engine (275 hp), and i would like to upgrade to about 350-400 ponnies....

* Price range....whatever (not a ton of money, but a nice street performing camaro will be nice) since i've never "rebuilt" an engine, and don't really know what it involves (that's where you guys come in lol)

What do you suggest I go with? Are there any kits out (gaskets, valves, etc....) there that has most of what i'm looking for? Or, does someone have a list of what i should get?
I have read about "Cams" and matching them up with HP oil pumps, what's a good combo (i also know that the camshafts give you some extra power too)
What size valves or whatever.... 0.40/0.60????

(links, websites, prices will help!!!)

Thanks
Old 12-29-2005, 06:16 AM

Re: Problems/oil pump, maybe REBUILD

Try your preasure switch first. If that doesn't fix it then drain your oil, tap on oil pan with your fist. If you hear something bouncing on the bottom of the pan it's your oil pump pick up tube. Do yo hear any noises while car is running or driving? My pick up tube fell off twice with a new tube each time. I finally welded it to the pump. Your screen name says detroit are you from michigan or in michigan i should say?
Old 12-29-2005, 09:08 AM

I take it the pressure switch is the same as the pressure sensor? Just want to make sure.

I didn't and don't want to drive it until i start "hearing" things, because i don't think that'll be good! I drove it for about 5 minutes after i installed my Racetronix Fuel pump/wiring kit, and the car finally got it's ***** back! But, no, i didn't hear any pings or anything.

One more thing, i did switch to High Synthetic Valvoline oil, they shouldn't or wouldn't cause the sensor to go bad, would it?

Anyways, hopefully i'll get the pressure switch/sensor today and installed.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:11 AM

I'm from Detroit, but now living in Maryland/DC area thanks to the Navy. Looking to get out in less than 2 and head back home though! There's no place like home! lol
Old 12-29-2005, 09:51 AM

Dam i was going to say if you lived here i could help. Anyway the pressure switch is the same as the pressure sensor or even pressure sending unit. No synthetic wouldn't cause the problem. You are correct donot drive it like that. When my pick up fell of the first time it wiped out my bearings.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:20 PM

I replaced the pressure switch today, and it didn't fix the problem. It's also not the wiring. I guess it's onto draining the oil and tapping the pan to see if i hear my pick up.......this sucks!

It's gotta be something bad........when i first fired it up today (cold), the pressure was up to about 30 psi on the gauge.......then the more the car WARMED up, the closer to 0 the gauge began to read. Does this "pinpoint" my problem to anyone out there????
Old 12-29-2005, 07:43 PM

I have the exact same problem going on right now aswell. Sucks doesnt it. You have a fast looking machine and thats about it.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by DetroitGuy83
I replaced the pressure switch today, and it didn't fix the problem. It's also not the wiring. I guess it's onto draining the oil and tapping the pan to see if i hear my pick up.......this sucks!

It's gotta be something bad........when i first fired it up today (cold), the pressure was up to about 30 psi on the gauge.......then the more the car WARMED up, the closer to 0 the gauge began to read. Does this "pinpoint" my problem to anyone out there????
thats starting to sound like bearings........
Old 12-29-2005, 10:01 PM

Keep me informed see if we can't figure it out.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:18 PM

"thats starting to sound like bearings........"

Are we talking about the "drive assembly" that drives the pump that's located under the air intake manifold?

Demon's Camaro...........Yes, this does SUCK! I want to start my custom Turbo install, not fix a damn oil problem. lol But, i'm also thinking about rebuilding the darn engine at this point, it's the matter of finding the time right now though. I might price around and see if someone can do it for a reasonable price.