LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

power steering fluid bath (crazy PS pump leak)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 06:42 PM

power steering fluid bath (crazy PS pump leak)

okay, went to go spend some money on stuff i dont need at Best Buy today and upon arrival ended up with a loud, whiny PS pump. so i get out, check the fluid level and find an empty container. what the crap? so i run to the gas station and fill her up with some ps fluid. look under the car and can see a steady drip coming from the engine area. so i buy another bottle of fluid and dart home (about 30 min. away). so here i am. i dont really have time to dig into her tonight. i just raised the car a few minutes ago and crawled under there to take a quick look. nothing from what i can tell. it does look like my engine was just dipped in ps fluid though. i wont drive it anywhere tonight or tomorrow. however i was wondering if anyone knew of any common leaks from the pump that would help me out when i start looking for the leak on sunday. any ideas/recommendations are greatly appreciated. thanks guys.
dave
Old 02-27-2004, 06:53 PM

Only thing I ask is if you've done any work on the engine lately. Mine was leaking all over after, get this, about 4 months after I changed the plugs and wires. I remember trying to bend the stupid ps lines outta the way and it eventually started leaking at the fitting. I had to get a new line from GM. Otherwise if its all over the engine, its probably leaking from the pump and the fan belt is spitting it all over.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:42 PM

i havent really done anything with the motor in a while. last thing i messed with was the driveshaft and that was a few months ago. hopefully its nothing too serious. but i guess i'll just go over the lines (sunday) after i clean it up and start it and watch for some leaks. as much as there was leaking out. i dont think its going to be something too difficult to find. anyways, i guess ill find out sunday. if it is any of the lines, can you pick those up at any auto shop? or are those something i need to order? thanks for the help.
dave
Old 02-28-2004, 10:17 AM

I'm not positive, but I think they're dealer only. I know for sure I got mine at the dealer. Your problem sounds like the pump though. That you can get at the local parts store, i've changed that too. You'll need a pulley puller too.