LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Possible Meziere Electric Water Pump Failure ... Troubleshoot Help Please ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 05:23 PM

Possible Meziere Electric Water Pump Failure ... Troubleshoot Help Please ...

Hi Guys ...

I don't drive my '95 Camaro as a daily driver but today I decided to drive to work and back as I do maybe one or twice every couple weeks ...

It's a little chilly here right now, so before leaving work, I let the car warm up a bit. After about a half mile down the road, I noticed that my Check Gauges Light was on and saw that the car was beginning to over heat.

I caught it before it got too hot, got out and looked around and didn't notice any issues, decided to see if the Electric Water Pump was working and turned the key and couldn't hear it at all ...

So, I checked all fuses and they look fine ... checked all connections and they look fine ...

So, I would assume that it's either the Relay or the Meziere itself ...

I left the camaro parked at work and drove the company car home ...

I'll swap out the relay tomorrow and if that doesn't work, I'll have to order a new Meziere ...

I'm thinking that I can weasle this thing out from the top seeing how they don't go into the water pump housing very deep ...

Anyone have any other troubleshooting tips or items to check??? Anyone ever replaced there electric water pump out the top???

Thanks,
TIM
Old 12-17-2009, 05:25 PM

Also, anyone know the relay used for the Meziere? I didn't think to check before leaving ... Thought that I might pick one up in the morning on the way to work ...

Will any Bosch 12V 30 amp Relay work?

Thanks

Last edited by TDog; 12-17-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by TDog
....Will any Bosch 12V 30 amp Relay work?

Thanks
yes.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeOiler
yes.
Thanks SnakeOiler ... TIM
Old 12-17-2009, 07:33 PM

Check the inline fuse holder. Myself and a friend both had failures with the fuse holder and the connected wiring. We were both using high quality fuse holders and wiring, he is also a Boeing electrical engineer. We replaced the fuse holder and associated wires, and several years later both of our Mezieres are still running strong.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:56 AM

Well ... appears to not be the relay or fuse holder ...

Sucks ... will pick up another and install ...

Thanks guys!
Old 12-18-2009, 12:14 PM

FYI: Meziere will rebuild the pump for about half price of a new one.

Have you tried running power direct to the pump to make sure it is bad?
Old 12-18-2009, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Stl94LT1
FYI: Meziere will rebuild the pump for about half price of a new one.

Have you tried running power direct to the pump to make sure it is bad?
Yes ... Ran power direct with no luck ...

Got one coming from Summit and it will be here on Monday ...

I'll send this on in to Mezeire for a backup ... thanks for the info, I didn't realize they repair ...

TIM
Old 12-18-2009, 03:26 PM

Had the same issue on the way home last night....but I was in a blinding rain on a highway so I had to drive a couple of miles IOT pull off the highway. However my issue was with the relay, so when I pulled the fuse and inserted my test wire into the fuse holder and connected to the alternator hot teminal my pump started running and I drove home IOT install new relay.

Mike
Old 12-18-2009, 04:04 PM

I know on my mezierre I have to take the fans off and then wiggle the pump itself out. Just thought I would let you know before you find this out the hard way.

I am pretty sure it will be this way for you as well, I have been wrong before though. I am about to take mine off again (yay new opti).
Old 12-18-2009, 09:26 PM

Any of you guys use the painless relay setup? I noticed it comes with a circut breaker. It seems like you could eliminate the fuse if you used that right? I have mine hooked up without the circuit breaker and im using the mezier fuse at the moment.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:28 AM

I use both a relay and inline fuse with my Meziere.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Stl94LT1
I use both a relay and inline fuse with my Meziere.
Not what I was asking. The power wire has a circuit breaker that you can wire inline on the way to the pump. (this is located in the painless water pump kit) Instead of popping like a fuse, it trips and resets.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Dave1980
Not what I was asking. The power wire has a circuit breaker that you can wire inline on the way to the pump. (this is located in the painless water pump kit) Instead of popping like a fuse, it trips and resets.
Yes you could remove the fuse and use the circuit breaker. I chose to use the fuse and not use the circuit breaker (in my 26 years of electrical experience fuses are more reliable than breakers)

Since I have some aftermarket electrical mods on my car (ones I sweat the most is the Mez and racetronix fuel pump harness) So keep a couple of jumpers and a switch with about 18" of wire on each end in the car so that if something happens with an aftermarket relay I can jumper it..and still get home or continue on a trip and it paid off on Thursday.

Mike
Old 12-19-2009, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dave1980
I am using a Barry Grant relay kit that is pretty much the same as the Painless kit, and the inline fuse. Maybe I wasn't clear on my last post.

Quick Reply: Possible Meziere Electric Water Pump Failure ... Troubleshoot Help Please ...