LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Is it possible Im blowing the spark out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 11:39 PM
96z

Is it possible Im blowing the spark out?

My car is still missing from time to time predictably around 5200 rpms or so. I have replaced everything and Im mean everything that could possibly cause an upper RPM miss. My last resort will now be an MSD 6a or 6al going on the thought that the spark maybe getting blown out. Is this at all possible on an NA car? I know its heard of on blower cars...
Old 05-08-2004, 02:10 AM

What are your plugs gapped at?
Old 05-08-2004, 08:15 AM

fuel related?
like a pump on its way out....

Thats where mine started, high rpm miss.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:03 AM

yes its possible
i had a 4cyl truck that blew out 7 spark plugs. cannot figure that out for the life of me. i mean at the same time all 7 of them just exploded. i replaced all 8 and never had a problem again. i still have 2 of them to show people because they are that strange looking
Old 05-08-2004, 10:07 AM

What wires are you running? coil? The Multiple Spark Discharge stops at 3000RPMs I think, mabye 3500 with any MSD system, but the system changes a few other things that might help if that is actually your problem. if nothing else it'll save ya some gas money. and we all know how much that would help with todays gas prices...
Old 05-08-2004, 11:41 AM
96z

Autolite 104 plugs gapped at .035
MSD coil
Taylor wires
New opti
Walbro 255 intake pump
New fuel filter

Dave Feerst, the MSD 6a or 6al wouldnt help in the upper RPMs at all?
Old 05-08-2004, 11:45 AM

I read a 4 page article once compareing the different MSD systems, MSD, jacobs, accel ect.... and basicly all of them have 3 sparks at low RPMs which helps with emission and fuel economy ect and 2 sparks at like 2000-3000 rpms which helps with emissions fuel economy and power a bit but after that there is no multible spark. It also supposedly makes the spark hotter so I suppose if it was going to help you that is the only reason why it would...
Old 05-08-2004, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by 96z
Dave Feerst, the MSD 6a or 6al wouldnt help in the upper RPMs at all?
It will definetly help out in the higher RPMs. They're won't be mulitple sparks above ~3k, but will be a stronger single spark.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:57 PM

Don't forget than MSD ignitions have been suspected to ruin optisparks by putting a higher voltage through them. FWIW, I used to have a 6AL and it did nothing for me....
Old 05-08-2004, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by madwolf
Don't forget than MSD ignitions have been suspected to ruin optisparks by putting a higher voltage through them. FWIW, I used to have a 6AL and it did nothing for me....
Is there any truth to that theory? I've heard a lot of people say it will put extra stress on the opti, but has anyone ever had hard evidence to that?
Old 05-08-2004, 06:33 PM
96z

Originally posted by madwolf
Ive heard that too madwolf...hmm. Any proof by anyone as suggested by ibanez6rg?
Old 05-08-2004, 06:36 PM

I don't know of any other proof, but I started having the famous low RPM miss/hesitation after a few weeks on the MSD. It was a new opti. Could have been a coincidence though.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:45 PM

Im running my plugs at .045" (Autolite 104's) and havent had any problems..I run stock ignition also..

Cody
Old 05-08-2004, 11:15 PM

An MSD box produces multiple sparks till about 3000 RPM, then it concentrates all the power into a single, powerful spark.

I've heard the rumors that ignition boxes can lead to opti failure, but I've never actually seen any evidence to prove or disprove it. Oh well, LTCC here I come.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:42 PM

More power through the opti means more stress on the opti. As to how much it will take off the life of one, who knows, since opti problems don't show up at the same time in all cars. I think that it reduces the life of the cap to a certain extent, at least. I've looked at the msd boxes before but I don't think I'll be getting one, I've got a new cap & rotor right now, don't want to mess it up. If I'm going to try to get more energy to my plugs it will be delteq or ltcc. Those systems make more sense to me anyway, since you don't have to worry about a rotor falling apart if you're running in the 6-7k rpms area.

I think if you modified the opti as a straight-thru design (the terminals on the opti go straight to the wires instead of snaking their way through to make the wires look pretty) it would probably last a lot longer, a lot less prone to arcing. The wires would be harder to work with, but the cap would probably cost less to replace that way too.

And why did GM use the opti anyway. The pcm already controls the timing anyway, it seems like it would have been a fairly simple step to mount some coil packs up somewhere and be done with it. Were they just trying to bring in more money for repairs???

Anyway, my favorite thing about the opti has got to be the extremely accurate timing. Least favorites would have to be the inconvenient location and the low amount of energy that actually makes it's way to the plug.

Quick Reply: Is it possible Im blowing the spark out?