LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Pilot bushing help (need part number, can't find one)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 06:16 PM

Pilot bushing help (need part number, can't find one)

I'm looking for a pilot bushing. I went a parts store today and they told me that all they had was the bearing so I went the dealer and they tried to sell me a bearing, looked in their computer and it didn't have a bushing listed. Anyone know the part number for this or where I can get one? I need it for Monday.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:28 PM

Shoebox's site says that the part number is 476574. I checked this on gmpartsdirect.com and it comes up as a bearing. Another site I found had it listed as a bushing though. I think this is the right part number but I was wondering if anyone could confirm this. The bearing that they originally tried to sell me today was number 14061685, I checked and this one is definately a needle roller bearing so I know that's not the one.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:33 PM

Doing a search, it looks like most people bought the bushing at their local auto supply store or Summit or Jegs.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by x7x7
Shoebox's site says that the part number is 476574. I checked this on gmpartsdirect.com and it comes up as a bearing. Another site I found had it listed as a bushing though. I think this is the right part number but I was wondering if anyone could confirm this. The bearing that they originally tried to sell me today was number 14061685, I checked and this one is definately a needle roller bearing so I know that's not the one.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The GM parts manual shows it as 14061685 for 94 - 97 and calls it a bearing. My manual calls it an oil impregnated bearing but that could be a bushing too.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by Lyle A
The GM parts manual shows it as 14061685 for 94 - 97 and calls it a bearing. My manual calls it an oil impregnated bearing but that could be a bushing too.
14061685 Yeah, that's the roller bearing.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:55 PM

Which is better?
Old 04-16-2004, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately the parts shop I went to didn't have a bushing listed in their computer, we don't have all the parts stores you guys have in the states up here in Canada. I was wanting to get one from GM because that way I would have a better chance of getting one in time for everything to go back together. I'm going to go by the dealer tomorrow and see what they can do with the parts number on shoebox's site (thanks shoebox!!!).

Lyle A, the reason why I want the bushing is becasue I've heard the bearing can fail and when it does it can damage the input shaft which is pretty pricey. I would feel much safer knowing that there is nothing in there that is going to chew on my input shaft.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by x7x7

Lyle A, the reason why I want the bushing is becasue I've heard the bearing can fail and when it does it can damage the input shaft which is pretty pricey. I would feel much safer knowing that there is nothing in there that is going to chew on my input shaft.
That's what I wanted to know. Thanks, Good luck.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:46 PM

The bushing is utter simplicity and was used for lots of years.

The roller bearing, though having a possible benefit of less resistance, is subject to failure and more possible damage to the input shaft, as x7x7 said.

x7x7, let me know if that number is a good one. I am not sure where I got it, but I hope it works.
Old 04-17-2004, 02:54 PM

476574 is indeed the correct part number. I wasn't able to pick one up today because I had to work but my brother inlaw (Gripenfelter) was able to pick it up for me and from his description it is the correct part. Cost was $12CDN.

You da man Shoebox!! Thanks!!
Old 04-17-2004, 03:24 PM

Unhappy

Just heard back from Gripenfelter, he went over to my house to match up the bushing and make sure it was the right one and apparently it's outside diameter is too small The hole in the middle for the end of the shaft is the right size but the outside is not. It's starting to look like I am going to be stuck going with a bearing. I'll just have to make sure I put a good amount of white grease in with it. I hope I don't end up having to replace my input shaft later down the road.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:41 PM

Darn, I guess I and not "the man" after all. I will take that part off my site until I can get a confirmation on what will actually work. Sorry, that it was not right, but I posted on my site that it may not be.

I hope Grip measured it right. You know...he may not be totally dependable. (he will know I am j/k)
Old 04-17-2004, 04:11 PM

hehe, you're still the man. With that many part numbers you're allowed to make a couple mistakes and yes, I did see that you said it might not be right so really you didn't make a mistake.

Grip just called me to tell me that he called another local parts shop and they said they have one but it's the wrong size also. So I think I'm going to have to just go with a bearing. I hope I don't regret it later.

GM must still make the part though. I wonder why I'm not able to find the part number. Well hopefully the one from the parts shop is the correct one.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:38 PM

I found mine at Autozone. Just tell them you need the pilot bushing for a 91 or 92 Camaro. It is the one you are looking for. That is what i had to do. If you ask them for a pilot bushing for a 93+ fbody all that will come up is the pilot bearing.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:40 PM

If you want, I can send one to you for about $7.00 (U.S.), that includes the shipping cost. I purchased my bushing for $3.00 at my local parts store...(Advance Auto). If you want to do it via PayPal, my PayPal e-mail is: carlos64030@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: Pilot bushing help (need part number, can't find one)