LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

pics of chambers and bowl area

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 06:09 PM

pics of chambers and bowl area

hey guys just so everyone knows ive used the search and exhuasted all the pictures i could find, but id really like to see if anyone has anymore. id like pics of only LT1 heads obviously. thanks for any help and i hope to see some pics. o and the reason im trying to find them is im doing my own heads and would like to compare.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:41 PM

Re: pics of chambers and bowl area

I know they aren't in great detail, but those are the three best ones I can come up with now. That was my second attempt at some homeporting and it seems to have come out pretty well.

Be careful in the exhaust bowl area or you'll port into the water jacket and end up removing your new engine to take the head off because heads studs will prevent you from doing it in the car. Don't ask me how I know
Old 02-06-2006, 06:47 PM

thanks thats awesome. did you ever have those flowed? also did you grind the exhuast guide completely flat? ive never seen one done like that. is that common? im keeping mine on a mild port, clean everything up, smooth the guides and try to help with what i think the "flow" would like to do.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:01 PM

Here's a few shots of what's on my LT1 TA. Sorry but the camera was a serious POS, LOL.

Steve...
Old 02-06-2006, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by T/A Racer
thanks thats awesome. did you ever have those flowed? also did you grind the exhuast guide completely flat? ive never seen one done like that. is that common? im keeping mine on a mild port, clean everything up, smooth the guides and try to help with what i think the "flow" would like to do.
Thanks! I did have the heads flowed.

Intake flowed 243 cfm @ .550 and 242.9 cfm @.600. This was with a 2.00" Manley RaceFlo valve, before a competition valve job.

Exhaust flowed right at 180 @.600. This was with a stock exhaust valve, before a competition valve job and back cut on the valve.

Not exactly scorching hot numbers, but considering the work was free and I got some pretty decent mid lift numbers out of the heads I'm happy. I just can't wait to see how the new combo works out.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:13 PM

here's a few of mine. first attempt. they came out pretty good. bout the same as the other fella's as far as flow goes. but I had stock valves. later I did smooth off the valves a little on a bench grinder. just took off the edge or "hump" the air would have to flow over to get into the cyl.s at low lift especially. but stayed away from the seat. but I wish I could have just bought some good aftermarket valves. not enough funds at the time though. next set I do for my Z will have aftermarket valves in them forsure.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:17 PM

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/irocss...de.jpg&.src=ph

actually a much better pic of after I finished them. the other pic was not quite finished yet.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by IrocSS85
but I wish I could have just bought some good aftermarket valves. not enough funds at the time though. next set I do for my Z will have aftermarket valves in them forsure.
I was fortunate enough to get some time on the flowbench. The guys at the machine shop really did help me every step of the way. The owner got my head on his flow bench, and I was able to get some back to back comparison between the stock valves and Manley RaceFlos. Verdict- the 2.00" Manley intake valve flowed better than the stocker at all lift points, and the stock exhaust valve flowed better than the 1.56" Manley valve.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:37 PM

cool. remember how much better the intake valve flowed? wonder how the stock exh. valve could have poss. flowed better then the manley valve? also Ive heard a multiangle valve job does wonders for low lift numbers. I used a drill and lapping compound to clean off the faces of my valves and seats. seemed to clean up really good, but there is only like 2 angles there if I remember right.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:47 PM

The Manley intake valve flowed 4-5 cfm better than the stocker did at most. I think the deal with the exhaust valve is that with the stock one being smaller it shrouded less in the chamber.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:17 AM

Here are a couple of pics of my home port, an "almost finished" port shot and a final shot of the bowls. These peaked at 249cfm @.550, a decent improvement considering only about 2-3cc of material has been removed from total port volume. I think you will get a little more flow by raising the roofs, but I pretty much left them alone.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...kebosscut2.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...bowlfinal2.jpg
Old 02-07-2006, 02:53 AM
Banned

Show Off....
Old 02-07-2006, 08:41 AM

Very nice work in the bowl area and on the valve guide
Old 02-07-2006, 09:05 AM

Here ya go...

edit: I thought I might add a little info on these:
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...highlight=Flow

Last edited by Colin91Z; 02-07-2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:11 AM

now those are some perty pictures, i hope to get my bowls lookin like those!

Quick Reply: pics of chambers and bowl area