LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

by pass key function

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 01:26 PM

by pass key function

Hello,

I have a 1995 camaro that I have recently installed a push button start on. As I am sure most of you that have looked into this are aware you still have to use the key to put it in the on position. What I am looking to do is bypass using the key. One thing I have done is taken the lock out of the steering wheel so no matter what my steering wheel does not lock. I was thinking about tapping into the foglight switch to where when this is in the on position it will act as the key is in the on position. I am curious if anyone has done this on a car with VATS? As well as will I have to do something to bypass the VATS in order for this to work? I was thinking I may have to do the key bypass but was not for sure about anything else. Any insight would be great.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:58 PM

Re: by pass key function

You would need the resistor bypass for the key and I would consider using some relays to "turn on" the needed circuits for vehicle operation. I would not use a single switch to do this-too much load. The ignition switch schematic will show you all that needs power and when.
If an automatic, you will also have to defeat the BTSI (Brake Transmission Shift Interlock)- the cable that attaches to the ignition switch.
Unless you take some other preventive measures, you car will be very easy to steal. Where do you live, again?
Old 03-29-2013, 03:02 PM

As a side note. Remember that the resistor or normal bypass method for remote starts(for e.g.) is only part of the "bypass" and that if the module(or BCM depending on what year you have) can still go bad and render the car useless. I was reading something online yesterday, cant remember the website. But someone is now producing a "complete bypass", that takes the entire vats system out of the equation and provides the correct signal to the PCM so that everything still works as it should.

I will do some looking and see if i can find that site for you.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:14 PM

Found it. Check this out. NEWROCKIES Inc | Bypass, disable and remove VATS, PASSKey and Passlock Security Systems in GM cars May be something for people having vats issues to consider. I lucky and everything still works as it should.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Zfbod94
Found it. Check this out. NEWROCKIES Inc | Bypass, disable and remove VATS, PASSKey and Passlock Security Systems in GM cars May be something for people having vats issues to consider. I lucky and everything still works as it should.
That is a ridiculous amount of money for something you can do with a resistor that costs a few cents and a bypass module you can get as cheap as $20 or a little more.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
You would need the resistor bypass for the key and I would consider using some relays to "turn on" the needed circuits for vehicle operation. I would not use a single switch to do this-too much load. The ignition switch schematic will show you all that needs power and when.
If an automatic, you will also have to defeat the BTSI (Brake Transmission Shift Interlock)- the cable that attaches to the ignition switch.
Unless you take some other preventive measures, you car will be very easy to steal. Where do you live, again?
It is a manual. I was going to install some relays as well as find a good spot to install a kill switch of some sort for the push button itself. Thanks for the schematic. I was going to go to your site to pull it up to figure out which wire off of the ignition switch did what. If I was to run two toggle switches for it. Shoebox do you have any suggestions on which wires to run to each toggle switch off of the ignition switch? I also did your bypass off of your site for TDR a while back. I should be okay from what I can tell by not running anything off of the yellow wire. Correct me if Im wrong please.