LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

PartsAmerica selling Opty optical part ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 11:38 PM

PartsAmerica selling Opty optical part ?

I saw it tonite its Cardone 301803....

Hope the link works. http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDeta...pe=218&PTSet=A

For those of you on a budget you may use this part combined with
the MSD-84811 LT1 distributor Cap and Rotor. ya ya ya its more expensive than a brand new Opty from whats his name? but at least the MSD Cap and rotor is supposed to be an upgraded version and from the Cardone website I read their part is supposed to use upgraded materials to
overcome the shortcomings of the OEM parts.

Better than a OEM opty and cheaper than the better direct coil ingitions... about half the price I would say.

Now ya'll experts can take me out and shoot me!!! I just wanted to pass it along for those like me who can not dish out 600 bucks when we get stranded in the middle of the Mohave desert!! or in my case.. Between Waikiki and the famous North Shore surfers paradise

Heck if those guys dont hurry up with the delteq stage II I may even buy this freaking set up that I am talking about. my opty has 149k miles now and I am just not gunna wait till it craps out on me any longer.

Just some info guys. I know there are better things out there... just a bit pricier too.

Marvin
Old 11-22-2004, 11:39 PM

Re: PartsAmerica selling Opty optical part ?

Ohh I forgot to mention I am gunna go check it out tonite.... they are supposed to have it in stock near me.... you all know how it goes right? but I will go check anyways.

I will post tomorrow.

Marvin
Old 11-23-2004, 04:27 AM

Update: I went to *checkers* Autoparts and got to inspect the Half opty they are selling...

I seems to be defective just by looking at it. The metal disc with all those tiny cuts doesnt even look like its brand new and its held by one... I repeat one screw and one washer. The other screw and washers are missing. Also I discovered that the bearing has lots of play in it.... I could just move the assembly and make the metal disk rub against the optical unit.

Thats the first time I have seen the insides of an Opty spark and I can easily figured out why so many guys are replacing optys left and right. With that much play in the ball bearing I bet that whole thing gets croocked as you mount the Opty on the engine or once it begins to rotate that timing disk is all over the place. Only a matter of time the whole thing desintegrates. Also I recall the opty having two metal plates for the timing... This Unit I inspected had only one. I look behind it and by the optical part and only one disk is there...

Just passing some info to you guys...

Marvin

Last edited by MentalCaseOne; 11-23-2004 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:32 AM

So what you're saying is all this:

High Quality:

* The industry's most advanced engineering and remanufacturing technology.
* 100% disassembly with component specific cleaning processes.
* 100% computerized testing ensures quality and reliability.
* All replacement parts meet or exceed OEM specifications.
* O.E. design weaknesses are corrected through design improvements.

Results in this:

*Squat
Old 11-23-2004, 10:48 AM

If all you need is the optical portion of the opti... I have one of those sitting right here on my desk. I know it works because the damn cap is what busted on my opti after only 10k miles or so. I was going to keep it around to rebuild it incase my new one breaks but I could use some cash and would take a reasonable offers.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Silver
So what you're saying is all this:

High Quality:

Results in this:

*Squat

Silver... the answer is NO.

What they are saying on their website is:

High Quality:

What I find out after inspecting "one unit" is:

"I discovered that the bearing has lots of play in it.... I could just move the assembly and make the metal disk rub against the optical unit."

I was very exited about this whole thing my self but the "play" in that "one" unit I inspected was so much it made me think about that moving around and rubbing against the optical sensor while the engine was rotating at 5 thousand RPMS.

Please dont mix my words up. I went to see for my self and came home very disapointed. However I wanted to let the board members know that this "play" in the "bearing" "may" be reason for their Optys going south so soon compared to others like mine.... If you look at my previous posts you will find out I am still using my original Optyspark and it now has just a bit over 149k miles on it. I dont think its a freak and I dont think its just luck. I am thinking that bearing has something to do with it.

Marvin

Last edited by MentalCaseOne; 11-23-2004 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:21 PM

Well the play in bearing is an ongoing prob with USED opti's but shouldn't be there in a new one..
My guess is it hasn't been replaced at all.. is it a vented or unvented you looked at?
This is also why I won't buy any but new GM [no play in bearing, and it's all new]
The optical disc is one piece..
Good effort on your part tho to try to find a viable replacement..
Looks like this one is the same as all the other remans[junk!]
I must agree with Silver here.. the hype on the ad isn't backed up at all by your looking at it/description..
In fact if one could fit a better [true roller]bearing in the opti, I bet we'd have a lot less failing [notwithstanding the unvented 'ozone' probs]
Thanks for sharing tho
Old 11-23-2004, 02:35 PM

Its a vented Unit. Oh by the way... I was thinking about those guys with non-vented ones.... the vent its nothing but a drilled hole on the side and a metal tube pressed in there.

Hey it may be the next free mod... converting a non vented into a vented opty. Guys you may go to Checker to inspect this unit and then memorize the location of the vent and do your own one. Unless there is a vent on the cap too. I only saw the optical half. Honestly it doesnt seem that dificult... and I think I saw the part number for the conecting vented opty conecting hoses from this board members web page.

I think it can be done with parts from home depot.

Marvin
Old 11-23-2004, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by MentalCaseOne
Its a vented Unit. Oh by the way... I was thinking about those guys with non-vented ones.... the vent its nothing but a drilled hole on the side and a metal tube pressed in there.

Hey it may be the next free mod... converting a non vented into a vented opty. Guys you may go to Checker to inspect this unit and then memorize the location of the vent and do your own one. Unless there is a vent on the cap too. I only saw the optical half. Honestly it doesnt seem that dificult... and I think I saw the part number for the conecting vented opty conecting hoses from this board members web page.

I think it can be done with parts from home depot.

Marvin
It's been done before. I saw an article online about how to do it, I think it was GM or Chevy High performance.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:17 PM

Here's a GMHighTech Performance article..
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...htp_optispark/
Also the opti venting article was Corvette Fever..
http://www.corvettefever.com/howto/16758/

MentalCaseOne the vented opti's have one fitting in the base and one in the cap..
There are other differences in the vented and unvented[vented has a better bearing and a few other things]

Last edited by Mtrhds94Z; 11-23-2004 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:56 PM

hi the stuff Cardone is not new... it's just a re-furbished opti the only new part is the bearing but everything else is old parts cleaned tested and put back together. They have a high rate of failure because they use a cheaper bearing then GM …. Unless you are really hard up for cash I would stay away from them because you will be pulling it back off sooner then you think
Old 11-24-2004, 09:44 PM

Just so you know "what's his name" is Jason Cromer and he's a GREAT guy to get parts from buddy.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by RedHottG2
Just so you know "what's his name" is Jason Cromer and he's a GREAT guy to get parts from buddy.

RedHottG2 I am sure he is a great guy else no one would be willing to deal with him.... Now here is my experience with "calling at his work place"... I sent an E-mail asking for a simple price quote and I havent gotten a reply as of yet. Today I called 3 times and the first time I got transfered (to him supposedly), and the phone rang and rang and rang... I figured they were busy, After about 35 rings someone pick up and hung up. Just like when you pick up and put the phone back in the cradle... it was rather quick and loud so I figured someone dropped the phone. I called again, This time I dont get transfered.. I get placed on hold..... after about 10 minutes the same lady who said she was gunna transfer me said she was trying to do just that.... put on hold again... about 10 minutes later I gave up. Third time I call The lady already recognise my voice.. I said let me have jason please... She said Jason Cromer? I said "That's the one" then she hung up.

It was 11 am here in hawaii and time to start work. I knew on my first break would be way to late to call again because of the time difference so I didnt try it. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving so I will not call again, its a good thing I dont need the opty in a rush...I am sure Jason is a great guy but getting to talk to him hasnt rked for me. I am yet to hear his voice once.

Do you guys have any other way to talk to him? So far it seems I am the only one who had this problem trying to talk to him...... or maybe the lady who answers the phone was having a bad day... she sounded nice though.

Marvin
Old 11-24-2004, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Maldo
hi the stuff Cardone is not new... it's just a re-furbished opti the only new part is the bearing but everything else is old parts cleaned tested and put back together. They have a high rate of failure because they use a cheaper bearing then GM …. Unless you are really hard up for cash I would stay away from them because you will be pulling it back off sooner then you think
The bearing maybe cheaper but the one I inspected had what "seemed" to me a defective bearing.... all that play in it had to be wrong. I was able to make the metal disc plate rub against the optical sensor without any effort... just wiggle it and there it was.. right up against the sensor and my logic told me there had to be something wrong with it.

Again.. I was very disapointed. Unless I am wrong and the bearing has to have that much play I dont see myself buying that remanufactured part.

Marvin
Old 11-24-2004, 11:40 PM

parts@samtaylor.com or 1-877-726-8295

Quick Reply: PartsAmerica selling Opty optical part ?