LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

PaceSetter Headers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:17 PM

PaceSetter Headers...

Hey I'm new to the LT1 world as I recently bought a 95 z28 6 spd, with a cold air and cat-back exhaust, and have been looking into headers with the y-pipe then getting of mr. elliot's lt1 packages....

But first things first, with the headers I have heard some stories with pacesetter's not "fitting" sometimes, I dont want to spend the money and them not fit, I want to do this once and one time only...thanks for your feedback !!
Old 03-25-2009, 12:49 AM

i totalled my caar

wait ill sell you mine jethot hooker long tubes
Old 03-25-2009, 02:50 AM

I have pacesetter mid-tubes, they fit great for me. Just REALLY hard to change the spark plugs, even with the motor OUT of the car. so change them when your in there, and get a good quality plug that will last a long time.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:59 PM

i have the pacesetter long tubes and y pipe on my car and they fit very well. i can change all the plug with out lifting the car off the ground, as long as i remove the ram air intake. you have to turn your hand and arm a few weird ways but can be done.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:56 AM

I put pacesetter long tubes on my car, and the first set, I had troubles with it fitting. I contacted the company that I bought them from (byunspeed), and he took care of me by sending me a new set and paying to send back the old set. The 2nd set fit fine.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:45 AM

The headers fit fine, but the Y-pipe could be better. I'm on my 2nd and ready to buy a 3rd.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:07 PM

My pace setters fit fine, just took a little coaxing to get them into place like any header I would assume.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:26 PM

my headers fit fine as well

didn't believe me when i told you the first time? lol
Old 03-26-2009, 11:32 PM

GTPGuy, What is wrong with your y-pipe?

Whammer...not a trust issue just want more info and input! I appreciate as much as I can get!

So what exactly is the issue then with the fit? If there has been an problem you think that the manufacturer would be altering something, weird that some installs are smooth and others are problematic??
Old 03-27-2009, 12:12 AM

Your mileage is going to vary case to case, it mostly comes down to your particular vehicle, I think. my passenger side literally just slid in in under 5 minutes with very little twisting or manipulating at all. Driver's side, on the other hand, took me way too long. Tried from below, on top, no matter what I did, couldn't get it. Had to take 3 bolts out of the mount shell and jack the motor up. Even then, had to grind down the steering knuckle so it'd clear the primaries. PITA, but well worth it. You'll just have to dive in and see what your LT1 has in store for you.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:38 AM

I would wait another month or so and get the new revised version of the LPP stainless headers. There's a thread about then in the LT1 section on ls1tech. They're a great header and cannot be beat for their price, if you want to do right the first time, go with them and get stainless.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by ISUCamaro
GTPGuy, What is wrong with your y-pipe?

Whammer...not a trust issue just want more info and input! I appreciate as much as I can get!

So what exactly is the issue then with the fit? If there has been an problem you think that the manufacturer would be altering something, weird that some installs are smooth and others are problematic??

The headers fitment is very good, the thing he is talking about with the Y-Pipe I am sure is the fact that it is "notched" to fit over the "hump" under the driver's seat. This makes it a little bit of a pain and can cause some interior vibrations.

Also to add to the fitment of the headers. I had never put any type of header on a car before doing my PaceSetter LT's on the Camaro. I had also seen nothing but horror stories about how hard it is blah blah blah took three days blah whatever. It took me one and a half hours from start to finish to install my PS LT's. For me fitment was great.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:39 PM

wow...an hour and a half? took me about 4 hours and i thought i was doing well, haha...

ISU, i was just messing with ya anway
Old 03-27-2009, 02:50 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by Bowtie4life
I would wait another month or so and get the new revised version of the LPP stainless headers. There's a thread about then in the LT1 section on ls1tech. They're a great header and cannot be beat for their price, if you want to do right the first time, go with them and get stainless.
There are apparently all kind of stainless knockoffs on EBay these days. There are Pacesetter clones, as well as a few Kooks clones, some with, and some without emissions. I think some of them are even cheaper than LPP. There was a thread on LS1Tech about stainless Ebay headers. I'm sure that probably sucks for the original manufacturers, but I guess that's just the way things work anymore.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:51 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
I installed my Kooks in about 10 minutes. It wouldn't have taken me that long, but I was drinking.

Quick Reply: PaceSetter Headers...