LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

optispark rotor location at install

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 12:47 PM

optispark rotor location at install

hi im having a bit of trouble i bought a new ac delco optispark installed but wont start 94 z28 lt1 after pulling it out three times and no luck and checking wire harness ok i looked close at my old one and pulled cap off new one the gear on new one if i line the caped grove with top notch in back the rotor does not go to same place as my old one the gear comes out of old one but not out of new one i bought from a rep place on ebay dont wanna waste time shipping it back if this is not the problem does any one know if the gear can be pulled out of new one with out screwing it up i wanna make sure its in right maybe a monday morning hangover install for this one ive tried to pull it out but wont budge dont want to use lots of force with out know with it in car just turns over a lil throttel body backfire but very very lil no run any advice would be great thanks JIM car ran ok lil miss before new opti loss of low end power also

Last edited by t-bucket; 05-06-2007 at 01:28 PM. Reason: spelling/added
Old 05-06-2007, 06:03 PM

What gear you talkin about?
Old 05-06-2007, 06:36 PM

There is a splined stub shaft that goes between the non-vented opti and the cam gear. The shaft can be taken out of the opti. It has the same indexing tab on it that is on the cam gear side. Both sides need to be indexed properly.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:38 PM

OK . SORRY FOR THE WAY I POSTED I WAS STRESSED . now im useing caps lol .im sure it was put in wrong ive tried for 2 hours to pull it out but it will not budge . i tried visegrips and a benchvise neither is keeping a grip . all im doing is scratching the crap out of the shaft . i do have the old one if i get lucky enough to get it to come out . i bought a 190.00 matco torx set and it still doesnt have a small enough t to take rotor screws out . any one know that size mine goes down to t10 but that still is to large .any advice shoebox on pulling this out ? ive made i nice mess
Old 05-06-2007, 10:45 PM

I don't have a trick for removing it. I have never had to mess with one.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:51 AM

Rotor Torx is T9.. T8 will work but is slightly 'loose'
That stub shaft should come out easliy.. not sure why it won't?
Are you sure it's a new GM opti?
Got a link for the 'rep place on Ebay? May shed some light on it..
I suspect the shaft is jammed in tight, and the one 'missing tooth' is keyed wrong [ based on your first post that 'the rotor doesn't index to the same place as the old one']
What I would do is get the rotor off [you'll see the teeth/end of shaft under the rotor in the recess] , then support the opti with the shaft hanging down, and use a punch and carefully tap the shaft out thru the hole under the rotor.. make sure punch is in the CENTER.. so you punch out the shaft..
I'd mark the orientation too for comparison when it does come out.. there is some risk of bearing damage doing this so don't whack it too hard..
Also, I'd raise hell with that 'rep seller' if it IS indexed wrong[ I highly suspect that it IS..as it should almost FALL out.. the tension of the oil seal is really what holds it in, thats all.. it's not a press fit.. without the seal, it should fall out by gravity]
Old 05-07-2007, 06:23 AM

thanks im waiting on reply from them and gonna call today ill post what happens but thanks for all the help
Old 05-07-2007, 07:04 PM

Well I wanted to read this post really I did and try to help but the single runnon sentence with no periods made it too hard like my brain hurt over and over so I read it again I tried but then I gave up I hope you get it figured out.