30.77%
Go with the OEM
50.00%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Opti died, need opinons on replacement please

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:45 PM

Opti died, need opinons on replacement please

My opti died a few weeks ago and I'm undecided as which way to go at this point. As it stands, I have an order with Thunder Racing for a Dynaspark...a 3-week-old order. Apparently Dynaspark is giving them the runaround with the order of Optis they are trying to get. So, here's what I've boiled my options down to...

1) Stick it out and keep my order for the Dynaspark.

2) Cancel the order and give the MSD unit a try. I've read many stories here and elsewhere of them failing, but I've been told the lastest units are holding up fairly well. It'd be $100 cheaper and I could get it here next-day from Summit.

3) Cancel the order and go with an OEM unit. Summit stocks them and could have one to me next day for $200 less.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions? What would you guys do? Thanks.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:20 PM

definately go with the msd unit. they are just about bulletproof. theyre especially good if you have an opti 1 setup..theyre vented like an opti 2.. they come with a fresh air hose and vacuum line, in case something happens like the water pump leaking, or something like that. they also come with a timing adjuster screw that is fairly accessible. this can be good if u would ever decide to get, or if you already have, some more serious mods, such as a cam, nitrous, etc. it is backed with a one year warranty.. that with an MSD blaster coil and MSD wires is a great combination.

Last edited by wheelliftnpony; 04-02-2007 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:27 PM

The thing is, except for the timing adjuster screw, the Dynaspark has the same features and haven't had the failure rate that the MSDs have had. But if the new batch of MSD Optis are more reliable, then I'd be willing to give one a shot. Hence my predicament
Old 04-02-2007, 10:35 PM

i just put in the MSD unit with coil and wires in a buddy's car and it runs a lot better.. ive read on other forums that they are next to indestructable compared to most other optis.. so we'll see if its true.. it does look like its built well though*
Old 04-02-2007, 10:48 PM

I bought an msd. Haven't got to test it out yet due to the fact that the motor isn't even in the car yet, but it sure does look perty.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:23 PM
sbs

Originally Posted by Steve93Z
1) Stick it out and keep my order for the Dynaspark.

2) Cancel the order and give the MSD unit a try. I've read many stories here and elsewhere of them failing, but I've been told the lastest units are holding up fairly well. It'd be $100 cheaper and I could get it here next-day from Summit.
If it's only $100 difference in the Dynaspark vs MSD then it would be a no-brainer for me. Dynaspark has a much better track record.

Price direct from Dynaspark appears to be the same as from Thunder Racing. Maybe you can get it faster direct.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:10 AM

Dynaspark

Its the best opti thats it
Old 04-03-2007, 07:51 AM

For me, it would be a competition between the GM unit and the Dynaspark. There have been to many complaint posts regarding the MSD unit to sway me the other way. The Dynaspark appears to have a solid track record but will cost quite a bit more over the GM piece.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the input so far everyone, I appreciate it.

As for the MSD concerns, they are the same that I share. But, Thunder was telling me the latest batches are supposed to be much better, hence the reason I was considering the MSD unit again. I'm still undecided on it though.

Any reasons for going with the OEM vs. the DS besides cost?

Thanks again everyone.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:38 PM

Well where you have a 93 i would stick with the dynaspark,if you had the vented style of the 95-97 then the oem would probably be good enough.If you research it enough you will find some dynasparks have failed but they are few and most were caused but being installed wrong.Msd right now have had more failures than they should have,i am sure they are working on the problem but it should have been worked out before they went on sale.Another thing i like about the dynaspark is the fact that if it fails they will completly rebuild it for $230 i was told which is a good price,but like i said there have been very few failures and it has been on the market for a while now.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:33 PM
sbs

Originally Posted by Steve93Z
Any reasons for going with the OEM vs. the DS besides cost?
The only reason anyone should install an OEM unvented opti is if they are so poor that they just can't afford anything else. Even then it's a bad move.

Since you are considering the expensive options, I conclude that you are not in that situation, so you shouldn't even be considering an OEM unvented opti.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:12 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
My unvented OEM opti lasted for 100+K miles. How many documented cases are there of any aftermarket opti lasting that long? I'm going to install another OEM opti, but I got it for a very good price. Otherwise, I might further consider an aftermarket alternative. I considered my options for several months and never got a warm & fuzzy feeling for any of the aftermarket alternatives.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by BTC
My unvented OEM opti lasted for 100+K miles. How many documented cases are there of any aftermarket opti lasting that long? I'm going to install another OEM opti, but I got it for a very good price. Otherwise, I might further consider an aftermarket alternative. I considered my options for several months and never got a warm & fuzzy feeling for any of the aftermarket alternatives.
My stock opti went 109k miles. Not a hiccup. I only replaced it to play it safe as milage was adding up. It probably would still be running today (120k) if I had decided to keep it.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:35 PM

Contact Dal .. order an OEM and dont look back. Its the best use of your
money. About 220 delivered to your door.

Tom
Old 04-03-2007, 07:58 PM
sbs

Originally Posted by sbca96
Contact Dal .. order an OEM and dont look back. Its the best use of your
money. About 220 delivered to your door.

Tom
If you can get unvented optis for $220 buy all you can get. The world will beat a path to your door.

Quick Reply: Opti died, need opinons on replacement please