LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

opti change opti, tune up & diagnostics $2000+?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 05:54 PM

opti change opti, tune up & diagnostics $2000+?

well, my post that i posted about 2 weeks ago told a story about me driving through a puddle. about 3-5 minutes later, the car began to lose power and soon started to idle at 300 rpm-600rpm. the car idles real bad. so i thought that some of the electronics had gotten wet(opti). 2 weeks later, the car still runs awful. i had a friend of mine come over with his snap-on diaganostic machine and do his thing. he didn't find anything wrong. i would've thought that whatever water was in any electronics would already be dry. so, i tow it to the shop and the guy calls me back. he estimates that everything will cost about 1400-2000+ for him to fix it up. in my opinion, thats kinda steep. i could be wrong, i dunno. 2000+ for this and the 2500 i dished out for my trans and the rest of the cash i spent on tires and stuff to a stock car are starting to add up to more than the car is worth. damn it!! so, how much does it cost to change the opti,(cars at the shop) and get a tune up at the same time? thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:14 PM

If you take it to a dealer just bend over when you get there. They will charge $2000 to do an opti. Do a search on here, Alot of people buy there Opti's from Jason Cromer including me, He's at a dealership in Florida. Depending what year your car is the Opti's cost abot $270, I think the dealers charge $700. It's not that hard to do yourself, Just get a Haynes manual. While your at it I would also do the plugs and wires if you haven't already and depending how old your waterpump is maybe that too. I've done it a few times and it shouldn't take you more than 4 to 5 hrs.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:24 PM

Give me 2000 dollars and u can be damn sure i'd fix it..

A diagnostic scanner will not be able to determine if the opti is bad..
Do a search on "opti" and try and find shoebox's website/ look up his name.. and check out his tech page.

Some checks...

Check fuel just to make sure if u can.... ONce u know for sure thats not it (maintains 37-42 psi)

Check your plugs and wires... unless htey are new. I believe wire OHM resistance is 50-80ohms per foot, anything more isnt good.

Opti spark- Turn your key to the "on" position. Unplug the Ignition control module connector. The ICM connects to your Coil and there is the coil wire up top, right below that is the coil connector, and right below that is the ignition control module plug. Unplug it, reach down there with a multimeter and check for 10 Volts DC on the center pins...

But like u said.... sounds like the opti, went through a puddle and nearly immediatly after it starts doing it, plus the scanner wont pick up any problems with the opti...
Call up Dal at vandevere or jason cromer. Dal is alittle cheaper on the optis... 198 bucks.
An opti install should be no more than 800 bucks in labor and thats at a dealership. And 800 bucks is outrageous to me..
I just finished mine today..

But without a doubt 2000 is an *** raping. Take it somewhere else or do it yourself
Old 01-21-2004, 06:49 PM

I vote for "do it your self". I think an opti is around $230 from gmpartsdirect.com Just replace it yourself. If you have tools and a garage, maybe some ramps, and a good manual, it's a piece of cake. Not only will you get the experience of doing it yourself, you can say f#$k you to the dealer and keep the extra money in your pocket where it belongs.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:00 PM

Your crazy if you are going to let them charge that much to replace the opti. ive had more work on my car done for half the price. The hardest part is your first time. AFter doing it once, it becomes a peice of cake. It took me about 6 hours the first time i did it, the second time took about 3 hours to take apart and put back together....this making my own waterpump gaskets, and having to go buy the stuff....its not that bad once you learn the routine of what must come off in what order.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:26 PM

DO IT YOURSELF!!!!!

I had never done the opti or water pump on my motor before, and it was simple. VERY easy to do, and someone that knows how to work on a car could feasibly pull off the job in about 4 hours if they're humping.

That $2000 estimate is extremely steep.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:47 AM

Dude Mechanics in Hawaii think they are the Grease Monkey Gods!!

They wanted 175 to replace my front brake pads. I took it upon myself and replace with brand new rotors and Ceramic Pads for a total of 140 dollars.

If I had the grease monkey do my job he would have given me 16 dollars junkyard pads keep the old rotors on and give me a spit of car deodorant as a bonus...

A coworker of mine paid 1000 dollars to have a motor mount replaced, when she told me I said to her are you pissing money?

buying auto parts in Hawaii is ridiculous too. I get a better price to have an autopart shipped from the mainland to hawaii then buyin it from a so called discount autoparts store here. Some of their prices are already matching dealer prices. Pay for a tow truck and bring your car back home. even if you buy tools to fix your car you will spend less money than paying that guy for the repair.

Marvin
Old 01-22-2004, 02:56 AM

My brother got a 96 B4C z28 m6 with 100k miles, mint for $3500 from dealer, ran 13.9 at the track, and some dealer wants to charge you $2000 for a job that is nothing complicated and you could do it in 5 hours with boards help. It's great learning experince too. New opti costs $250, while you there change your water pump for $125
Old 01-22-2004, 04:43 AM

Something real similar happenned to my TA. Turns out the optical sensor inside the opti was dead. Nothing showed up on the shop's scanner, and they ended up having to call in a GM tech (luckily I didn't have to pay for that). I would go ahead and replace the entire opti spark, not just the cap and rotor. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:54 AM

Another vote for do it yourself. Look closely at the job from all angles. Let everyone here tell you what your in for. Take the longest time anyone says and double it to be safe.

Make a list of what you need. Get it ALL don't half A!@ the job. Replace hoses, belts, thermostat, replacement items that are old, you get the picture. Make sure you get the right parts. There are a few varieties of some parts like water pump and opti.

If you feel unsure as you go use a camera so you have a reference as you go back together. Get a shop manual. Be methodical as you remove things like hardware and line it up so you don't get confused when putting it back. Don't just throw things like hardware into a coffee can.

Good luck.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:44 AM

i thought a tune up consisted of plugs, wires, air filter, oil change, oil filter, fuel filter adjust timing and some other stuff? anyway, the car is at a regular car shop, not the dealer. shouldn't it be cheaper? i was wondering, would running through a deep *** puddle make the opti wet and therefore fart and what not? when i got home and opened the hood, there was water everywhere, even in the back of the motor. it was horrible. i wondered why it would be so bad. i'm assuming that the puddle was as deep as the air dam in the front of the car causing water to go through the raidiator and into the engine compartment. what was GM thinking when they designed the car, jeez. like, i said, would water hitting the opti make the car act like this, and if so, wouldn't the water evaporate? after the water evaporates, shouldn't everything be fine? im going to check if my insurance covers water damage, which is why im hoping that water damaged the opti. i also found water in the donkey dong. it was about 3/4 full, is that bad? the motor starts, but its not drivable. i love this board. you guys are awsome! thanks
Old 01-22-2004, 07:18 AM

The biggest problem with 93 is that the opti's are non-vented. So any kind of moisture build up will affect the operation of the opti. From what you are explaining it seems like you went through a serious puddle. How deep was the puddle?
Old 01-22-2004, 10:34 AM

877-448-5451 - Dal
www.vandevere.com
Optispark $198

If u went through a puddle that big theres a huge chance that it is your opti. Everything is pointing to the opti. Need to change it.

how did all that water get in your silencer??? thats crazy
Old 01-22-2004, 10:54 AM

http://www.streetillusionsracing.com.../opti/opti.htm

use this and be done with it
Old 01-22-2004, 11:23 AM

i said, would water hitting the opti make the car act like this, and if so, wouldn't the water evaporate? after the water evaporates, shouldn't everything be fine?

Hell yes water would make your opty act like crap and And If you went through a BIG PUDDLE of water like the one by Ron's Auto Parts by Nimitz Highway (by airport) then your Opty was fried the second you touched that water!!!! (its salt water from high tide).

Remember if it was fresh water evaporation would have made the opty misfire on the optys high voltage area... plus add some fresh water leaking into the optical area and you may have some rust on the optical sensor/disc now add some salt water and multiply that rusting effect by X times.

The part that got me thinking is that your opty did not die immediately once you took a deep dive in the puddle but it took a few minutes for it to kick in.... I am with slopo when he says if you gunna do the job may aswell change everything that wears out.... like water pump, plug wires, sparkplugs, water pump seals maybe the timing chain cover gasket... if it was me I would hate to change the opty and then have an old radiator hose burst and take out the opty again.... or the water pump taking out the opty also.....get the idea?

Heck I am planing to do that job to my car and my opty still working good... with 142k miles on my alternator that bad boy will have to go too...

Marvin

Marvin

Quick Reply: opti change opti, tune up & diagnostics $2000+?